Re: [mpls] new published draft-kompella-mpls-special-purpose-labels-01 (Adrian Farrel)

"Shahram Davari" <davari@broadcom.com> Thu, 01 November 2012 22:04 UTC

From: Shahram Davari <davari@broadcom.com>
To: Kireeti Kompella <kireeti.kompella@gmail.com>, Vivek Kumar <kvivek@broadcom.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:04:13 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.16.203.100]
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] new published draft-kompella-mpls-special-purpose-labels-01 (Adrian Farrel)

Kireeti,

Is the draft proposing to always use label 15 even if one wants to use  label 0-14? In that case this draft won't be backward compatible with existing HW.

My suggestion is to keep the behavior of label 0-14 as-is. And for extended labels one must use label 15 followed by label 16 to XXX. This means Label 0-15 can't follow label 15. I think XXX=64  should be good enough. This would allow for HW registers rather than 20-bit lookup.

Thanks
Shahram