Re: [mpls] [Gen-art] review: draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply-04

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 22 October 2014 03:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:14:05 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Lizhong Jin <lizho.jin@gmail.com>
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org, "'draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply.all'" <draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply.all@tools.ietf.org>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] [Gen-art] review: draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply-04

ou are saying that this is only for the case where an AS is using public
addresses for its internal numbering, but is not distributing that
address block externally?

If so, you need to state that very clearly.
I believe a far more common case is one where the numbering is from a
portion of a publicly allocated space, but firewalled.  Which would
produce the same problem, but would not be amenable to this solution.
And it is well known that many ISPs do internal number assignment from
private blocks.

So what you are now saying is that this draft solves a very small
portion of the problem?  But it works for that small portion?  If so, at
the very least you need to be VERY clear about what cases this works for
and what cases it does not.  And I fear that even if you are clear, it
is going to be very confusing for folks who are trying to use it.

Yours,
Joel