Re: [mpls] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-sfl-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 04 March 2021 21:24 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 13:24:34 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com>
Cc: DEBORAH A BRUNGARD <db3546@att.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, mpls <mpls@ietf.org>, loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "mpls-chairs@ietf org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-sfl@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-sfl-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Stewart,

That proposal looks good, and should cover the 0x000A vs IANA value topic.

I trust you to do something useful with my other comments (including the
request to incoprorate by reference the security considerations from RFCs
6374 and 8372), so I'm willing to clear my discuss if that shows up as the
RFC Editor note.

I do still have some concern about things like where we say in Section 7.1
"The packet format of an RFC6374 Time Bucket Jitter Measurement Message is
shown", but I don't understand what the correct text should be well enough
to be able to hold a discuss for it.  I suspect that the intent is
something like "an (RFC6374 Query Message) that specifically is a (Time
Bucket Jitter Measurement Message) is shown", but that's way too awkward a
phrasing to put in an RFC, and I'm not even sure I'm correct about the
relationship between the RFC 6374 Query and what we're defining here.
(There are other message formats that have similar text in later sections
but I just mention the one.)

Thanks for thinking up a less-intrusive fix for this one; I would have gone
with something messier and harder to get right.

-Ben