Re: [mpls] For your review - Issues/errors/clarifications in RFC3 036

Eric Gray <ewgray@GraIyMage.com> Fri, 08 October 2004 04:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:03:54 -0400
From: Eric Gray <ewgray@GraIyMage.com>
To: Rama Ramakrishnan <rrama@riverstonenet.com>
Subject: Re: [mpls] For your review - Issues/errors/clarifications in RFC3 036
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org (E-mail)" <mpls@ietf.org>, ewgray@GraIyMage.com
Sender: mpls-bounces@ietf.org

Rama,

    Yes, Bob Thomas and I talked about this problem _years_ ago (:-))

    Bob seemed to feel that there are several way that an implementation
can avoid re-issuing the same label too soon after it "becomes available".
Since he and I were both working on separate LDP implementations at
the time, I couldn't really find a hole in that argument. Therefore,
this is a
"race" condition where you can hobble the competition.

    One other comment in response - the protocol that issues a label should
be irrelevant in the sense that you're addressing. Either the multiple
signaling
protocols are getting the labels from the same pool or they're not. If
they're
not, the problem does not exist. If they are, then a sensible
implementation
would benefit from using a common under-lying label allocation scheme.

--
Eric