Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-jjb-mpls-rsvp-te-hsmp-lsp

Lizhong Jin<lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn> Thu, 19 July 2012 08:14 UTC

To: Sriganesh Kini <sriganesh.kini@ericsson.com>
From: Lizhong Jin <lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:14:16 +0800
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "Bhatia, Manav (Manav)" <manav.bhatia@alcatel-lucent.com>, Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-jjb-mpls-rsvp-te-hsmp-lsp

Hi Sri,
Thank you for the review. Please see inline below.

Regards
Lizhong

Sriganesh Kini <sriganesh.kini@ericsson.com> wrote 2012/07/19 08:25:54:

> Hi Manav and other authors,
>
> Thanks for the additional pointers that you sent to help understand
> the draft. It certainly helped.
>
> However before I make a detailed review, I wanted to better
> understand the motivation of this draft. If I understood correctly,
> the HSMP LSP is co-routing unicast traffic from PE-x to PE-y with
> multicast traffic in the reverse direction i.e, PE-y to PE-x.
> However these are independent services and will have different TE
> characteristics. I don't see how co-routing that traffic helps to
> solve the TE problem, when that is the primary requirement of the
> network design. In fact it may make it even harder.
>
> I agree that some labels entries may be saved by having a MP2P
> construct for the unicast traffic. However note that even for
> unicast traffic the TE characteristics for traffic from PE-x to PE-y
> can be different than traffic from PE-z to PE-y. An MP2P LSP is less
> likely to provide a solution for that problem and when it
> additionally gets constrained to be co-routed with another P2MP LSP
> that is satisfying TE requirements of another service then it is
> even less likely to do so.
[Lizhong] In that case, co-routed P2P return path from PE-x to PE-y, or
PE-z to PE-y is required, and Eric pointed out the similar for TP case.
That means upstream label should be allocated for every leaf node. If the
WG think above case is useful, we could add that option of P2MP +
co-routed P2P return path. In the current version, we only cover the TE
case as described in section 3.3 and 3.4.

> Another possible advantage of HSMP seems to be that there is some
> saving in signaling since forward and reverse direction labels are
> signaled at the same time. However IMO these savings are not big
> enough. At least not big enough that independent services must be
> constrained to be co-routed.
[Lizhong] the primary requirement for HSMP is co-routed. Another advantage
is operational task reduction compared with P2MP + independent P2P return
path. In many cases, the return path for P2MP is required, and it is not
necessary to configure each P2P return path on each leaf node for HSMP
LSP.

> Note that I am not saying that VPLS does not have problems, nor am I
> saying that P2MP LSPs should not be used in VPLS. My primary
> question is about the motivation for the co-routing when TE is a
> requirement and the associated problems I described above for HSMP.
[Lizhong] one of the motivation for co-routed is time synchronization as
described in section 1.1.

> Let me know if I have understood anything incorrectly.
[Lizhong] hope the above helps.

> Thanks
> - Sri

IETF