Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-jin-jounay-mpls-mldp-hsmp

Lizhong Jin<lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn> Sat, 21 July 2012 14:48 UTC

To: Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange.com>
From: Lizhong Jin <lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 22:48:19 +0800
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, "ice@cisco.com" <ice@cisco.com>, Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-jin-jounay-mpls-mldp-hsmp

Hi Thomas,
Thank you for this review. Please see inline below.

Regards
Lizhong

Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange.com> wrote 2012/07/20 22:37:06:

> Hi,
>
> [please ignore my previous mail, sent before it was ready; my apologies]
>
> I've reviewed this draft and here is my attempt at commenting on the
> different aspects as expected for this review.
>
> What the specs aim to achieve and the procedures described seem to me
> as technically sound.
>
> I am however, not convinced by all the use cases put forward in section
> 2.
>
> The first one is time synchronisation, but there is no detailed
> explanation of why having a leaf-to-root path is needed ("PTP slave
> might have to send also messages") nor why having this path be
> co-routed is a benefit.
[Lizhong] time synchronization [IEEE1588] requires the sync packet from
master to slave to be co-routed with the delay request packet from slave
to master. We will add these detail according IEEE1588 in the next
version.

> The second one is IPTV ; one thing that bothers me is that with only
> one router as the root, it seems that it will be very hard to implement
> redundancy of the IGMP Querier function and source-side router and.
[Lizhong] If redundancy root node is required, two HSMP LSP could be
provided. Section 6 has some considerations about redundancy.

> The third application case is L2VPN, with a key claim being a reduced
> operational cost due to having less LDP state in the network. For VPLS,
> I don't understand where the gain is supposed to come from, compared to
> the solution used in draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast and
> draft-ietf-l2vpn-evpn.
[Lizhong] In this application, the PSN tunnel operational cost is reduced
by HSMP LSP, you do not need to setup P2MP LSP + P2P LSP on each PE, but
use HSMP LSP instead. VPLS-MCAST and EVPN does not talk about PSN tunnel
operational cost. Actually HSMP LSP could be also applied in VPLS-MCAST
and EVPN. We will make this part to be more clear to avoid
misunderstanding.