Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-farrel-mpls-sfc

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Fri, 02 March 2018 03:34 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
CC: "draft-farrel-mpls-sfc@ietf.org" <draft-farrel-mpls-sfc@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 03:34:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.194.201]
Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-farrel-mpls-sfc

Hi Loa,

Here are my review comments on draft-farrel-mpls-sfc-03.

Basically, I think the draft is well-written and ready for WG adoption call.  I also have some comments and questions as below:

1. The draft assumes the SF can properly process the MPLS encapsulation, how about the case where SF cannot process MPLS encapsulation? Does the draft intend to cover it? In addition, it assumes that the SF's operation would like: 1)skip the MPLS header, 2) process the payload and 3)return the packet to SFF, right? This seems like a special requirement to the SF,  more clarification text would help the readers to understand the solution.

2.  For the MPLS Swapping option, where the SPI label will be kept unchanged along the path, and the SF label will decremented, this seems not like the normal MPLS label swapping operation. In addition, to keep the SPI label unchanged along the path, it implies that SPI has to be unique within the SFC domain;  how to achieve this given that MPLS label is local significant?

Best regards,
Mach