Re: [mpls] Draft: Response to Updated draft Recommendation G.tpoam [Ref 043.02]

Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com> Thu, 13 January 2011 17:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:04:43 +0000
From: Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com>
To: D'Alessandro Alessandro Gerardo <alessandro.dalessandro@telecomitalia.it>
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Draft: Response to Updated draft Recommendation G.tpoam [Ref 043.02]

Please see inline

On 13/01/2011 16:20, D'Alessandro Alessandro Gerardo wrote:

> Dear Stewart, all,
>
> I do not agree on the proposed Liaison text for the reasons explained
> inline below.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alessandro

> Telecom Italia
>
> Alessandro D'Alessandro
>
> Transport & OPB Innovation
>
> Via Reiss Romoli, 274 - 10148 Torino
>
> phone:  +39 011 228 5887
>
> mobile: +39 335 766 9607
>
> fax: +39 06 418 639 07

Please read the inbound liaison. It specifically states that the changes
to G.tpoam based on draft-bhh-mpls-tp-oam-y1731

> We wish to draw your attention to the status section of
>
> draft-bhh-mpls-tp-oam-y1731-06 which states:
>
> "Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
>
> and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
>
> time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference material
>
> or to cite them other than as "work in progress".
>
> Please also note that since the draft filename starts with the prefix
>
> string "draft-bhh" this clearly identifies it to the reader as a
>
> document expressing the personal technical views of the authors and
>
> hence hence as a document that that does not have any acknowledged level
>
> of IETF consensus.
>
> [dalessandro] I would take the opportunity this email give me to
> invite IETF community to review draft-bhh (and the other related
> contributions)that are fueling a lot of discussions inside IETF.

Please see Ben's email on this thread

> Since the text of draft Recommendation for G.tpoam is based on an
>
> MPLS-TP OAM protocol not designed within the IETF Standards Process this
>
> is a breach of the SG15 agreement with the IETF as published in Report
>
> of the first meeting of Working Party 3/15 Transport network structures
>
> (2009-2012) (Geneva, 1 -- 12 December 2008) which can be found at
>
> http://www.itu.int/md/T09-SG15-R-0004/en
>
> [dalessandro] In my understanding ITU-T documents are based on
> contributions and consensus. G.tpoam does not preclude inclusion of
> material agreed inside IETF therefore I do not see it as a breach of
> the SG15 agreement with the IETF. For that reason I do not agree
> sending this Liaison.

In the case of MPLS-TP, the agreement is that the protocols will be
standardized using the IETF Standards Process.

The relevant text in the JWT is:

Consensus on recommendation of Option 1
Jointly agree to work together and bring transport requirements into the
IETF and extend IETF MPLS forwarding, OAM, survivability, network
management and control plane protocols to meet those requirements
through the IETF Standards Process

> Please confirm that the ITU-T intends to continue with the joint work on
>
> MPLS-TP and that the ITU-T will align this recommendation with the IETF
>
> MPLS-TP OAM design before advancing this document through the ITU-T
>
> publication process.
>
> [dalessandro] Is it appropriate for IETF to do that statement? I never
> heard statements in ITU-T meetings and I never read ITU-T
> contributions asking to break the joint work with IETF.

The output of the Berlin meeting seems to throw considerable doubt on
the ITU-T intentions

If the ITU-T is fully committed to the JWT, the answer will be a simple
"yes".

--
For corporate legal information go to: