Re: [mpls] [sfc] An MPLS Forwarding plane for SFC

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Fri, 01 September 2017 20:25 UTC

To: adrian@olddog.co.uk, mpls@ietf.org
Cc: 'Service Function Chaining IETF list' <sfc@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 16:25:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [mpls] [sfc] An MPLS Forwarding plane for SFC

Reading this draft, what you have proposed is a specific transport
mechanism, using MPLS.  By removing the NSH header, you remove the
transport agnostic properties that the Working Group was specifically
chartered to achieve.
By recasting the metadata into a label sequence, you make any metaata
processing significantly harder, and make applications dependent upon
the MPLS transport, rather than being able to rely on the NSH format.
If this pattern were followed for other transports, we would require SFF
and SF which understood how to parse and process all of the different
transport encodings of the path, and SF would have to understand all the
different transport encodings of the metadata.

Why is this beneficial?

If what you want to do is carry NSH, with an MPLS label stack that
represents the whole sequence of places to visit, we would still have to
assume that SF preserved the MPLS stack, but their processing, assuming
they could find the carried NSH header under the MPLS stack, would at
least be independent of the transport.

Yours,
Joel