Re: [multimob] Fw: WG Action: Mobility Multicast (multimob)

"Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de> Fri, 25 September 2009 13:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:10:56 +0200
From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
To: sijeon79@gmail.com
Cc: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] Fw: WG Action: Mobility Multicast (multimob)

Hi Seil,

Seil Jeon wrote:

> I have already read you draft.. -mcast-deployment-01.txt

Thanks & thanks for commenting. I suppose you speak about
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schmidt-multimob-pmipv6-mcast-deployment-01

> There are message source and destination address from LMA to MN, and MN to LMA.

I'm not sure what you mean. But of course, yes. There are source and
destination addresses. But there is no tunnel between  LMA and MN.
Actually, an MN in PMIP should not see a reason to initiate a tunnel
with the LMA.

> But, how multicast packets can be transmitted?

Well, as stated in the draft: The LMA will receive multicast data by
whatever means (out of scope for this document). It will forward this
data to the tunnel interfaces with MAGs, from which it previously
received corresponding JOINs at. Here it is assumed that the LMA is
somehow a multicast-aware router (Proxy or DR).

Mcast data will then arrive at the MAGs (on their upstream interface of
the corresponding proxy instance). It will decapsulate and forward on
those downstream interfaces that have appropriate mcast fowarding states.

> Your opinion is same as http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krishnam-multimob-pmip6basicmcast-solution-00.txt ?

I suppose you speak about
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krishnan-multimob-pmip6basicmcast-solution-00

There has been a longer discussion on the list. The difference with this
approach is twofold: First,
draft-krishnan-multimob-pmip6basicmcast-solution does define new
protocol operations, so it is not a BCP-type. Second, there is some
'surprising' use of a tunnel: A unidirectional tunnel enforced to the MN.

> I want to know how tunneled multicast packet are treated.

The LMA-MAG tunneling I just tried to explain above. If encapsulated
packets with a unicast outer header are transmitted via any of those
entities, they should be treated as unicast - just standard packet
forwarding.

Did I answer your questions?

Thanks,

Thomas