Re: [multimob] I-D Action:draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast

<karagian@cs.utwente.nl> Fri, 14 February 2014 06:05 UTC

From: karagian@cs.utwente.nl
To: schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:05:38 +0000
x-mimectl: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V14.2.247.1
x-originating-ip: [86.91.134.3]
Cc: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] I-D Action:draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for willing to work out my comments that can be IMHO considered also as WGLC related comments.

Regarding your proposed answers and questions, please see in line!

________________________________

Georgios: Okay, great!

> [...]
> >
> > 1)City security scenario:that can be used to support the day to day
> > safety and security of citizens.
> >
> > 2)Disaster recovery scenario that deals with the protection of people
> > and rescue teams during large scale natural or man-made disasters, like
> > flooding, earth quakes and nuclear disasters.
> >
> > 3)Temporary Protection PPDR scenario that deals with safety and security
> > of citizens visiting large planned events like football matches, pop
> > concerts and protest demonstrations.
> >

> A very good point - actually we are currently working with an airport on
> such crisis prevention and disaster recovery solutions, it is of
> emerging importance.

> We have added the following text:
>
>   -------------------------- snip ----------------------------------
> 1.1.  Use Cases and Deployment Scenarios
>
>     Multicast Extensions for Fast Handovers enable multicast services in
>     those domains that operate any of the unicast fast handover protocols
>     [RFC5568] or [RFC5949].  Typically, fast handover protocols are
 >    activated within an operator network or within a dedicated service
>     installation.
>
>     Multicast group communication has a variety of dominant use cases.
 >    One traditional application area is infotainment with voluminous
>     multimedia streams delivered to a large number of receivers (e.g.,
 >    IPTV).  Other time-critical news items like stock-exchange prices are
 >    commonly transmitted via multicast to support fair and fast updates.
 >   Both may be mobile and both largely benefit from fast handover
 >    operations.  Operators may enhance their operational quality or offer
 >    premium services by enabling fast handovers.

>     Another traditional application area for multicast is conversational
>     group communication in scenarios like conferencing or gaming, but
>     also in dedicated collaborative environments or teams.  Machine-to-
>     machine communication in the emerging Internet of Things is expected
>     to generate various additional mobile use cases (e.g., among cars).
>     High demands on transmission quality and rapidly moving parties may
>     require fast handovers.

>     Most of the deployment scenarios above are bound to a fixed
>     infrastructure with consumer equipment at the edge.  Today, they
>     are thus likely to follow an operator-centric approach like PFMIPv6.
>     However, Internet technologies evolve for adoption in
>     infrastructureless scenarios at desaster recovery, rescue, crisis
>     prevention and civil safety.  Mobile end-to-end communication in
 >    groups is needed in Public Protection and Disaster Relief (PPDR)
>     scenarios, where mobile multicast communication needs to be supported
>    between members of rescue teams, police officers, fire brigade teams,
>     paramedic teams, command control offices in order to support the
>     protection and health of citizens.  These use cases require fast and
>     reliable mobile services which cannot rely on operator
>     infrastructure.  They are thus predestined to running multicast with

Georgios: Okay, great!

>   -------------------------- snap ----------------------------------

> > Comment_3: List the requirements that need to be satisfied by this
> > solution. You may use as example Section 1.1 of
> > http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-multimob-handover-optimization-04.txt
> >

> I'm not sure here: Different from the rather 'individual' solution
> presented in draft-ietf-multimob-handover-optimization, the fast
> handover document works out multicast extensions for the existing fast
> handover protocol standards. So the requirement basically reads
>
>    * multicast shall be transparently included in *fmipv6 handover
> operations without harming anything else.

> But this is very explicitly stated in the abstract and introduction, so
> an additional requirements section would be either completely trivial,
> or a repetition of what has been already said.

> Do you think of any particular aspect we forgot to mention?

Georgios: Yes, see below. Actually, I have reused some of the requirements listed in:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-multimob-handover-optimization-07.txt

Possible requirements to include:

  o  The solution MUST be applicable to any kind of MN, in such a way that any type of mobile node
      in a PMIPv6 domain being served with multicast traffic can benefit
      from the fast handover solution.

   o  The solution MUST NOT impact existing multicast protocols.

   o) The multicast MIPv6 and PMIPv6 Fast Handover solutions MUST optimize the handover performance, in terms of delay,
      for multicast communication to the order of the maximum delay needed for link switching and signaling between Access Routers (ARs) or Mobile
      Access Gateways (MAGs).

   o  The solution SHOULD minimize the number and extent of additional
      support (i.e., capabilities) required in the network, aiming at an
      easier deployment.

   o  The solution MUST NOT impact deployments of legacy implementations
      of [RFC5213] and [RFC6224].

> > Comment_4: Provide a more detailed message flow description, similar to
> > the one that is given in Section 5.1.2 in±
> >
> > http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-multimob-handover-optimization-04.txt
> >
> > This comment holds for Figures 2, 3, 4, 5
>

> This again is a bit unclear to me.

> The difference between the figures in
> draft-ietf-multimob-handover-optimization and our Figs 2 - 5 are

>   (a) other entities are involved
>   (b) there are some comments on states in the figures from
> draft-ietf-multimob-handover-optimization

> In fact, the fast handover operations are much simpler than operations
> in draft-ietf-multimob-handover-optimization, and directly plug into the
> unicast protocol elements.

> It is more 'natural' to compare with the call flows in [RFC5568] and
> [RFC5949].

> If you do so, what would you propose to add?

Georgios: Okay, I will not insist to add more information in the figures, but IMHO, the operation
of the protocol can be made very clear when each message sequence chart step
(i.e., each message exchange) is described in detail.

> > Comment_5: There is no description on how this draft, which specifies a
> > mobile multicast listener support solution, can be used in combination a
> > the mobile multicast senders, solution e.g.,
> > http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-multimob-pmipv6-source-05.txt.
> >
> > There are scenarios and applications that require the use of these two
> > solutions simultaneously.
> >

> You are right. draft-ietf-multimob-pmipv6-source does not touch the fast
> handover solution. The current document is bound to listener operation
> which was a result of the charter.

> The best way is probably to add the sender aspects to an appendix, as a
> free gift let's say.
>
> Do you agree?

Georgios: Yes, I agree, this will be great!

Best regards,
Georgios