[multipathtcp] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-mptcp-rfc6824bis-15: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 16 May 2019 08:15 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-mptcp-rfc6824bis@ietf.org, Philip Eardley <philip.eardley@bt.com>, mptcp-chairs@ietf.org, philip.eardley@bt.com, multipathtcp@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 01:15:40 -0700
Subject: [multipathtcp] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-mptcp-rfc6824bis-15: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mptcp-rfc6824bis-15: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mptcp-rfc6824bis/

COMMENT:

Thanks for the work everyone has put into this document and moving from v0 to
v1 of MPTCP. The document is also very easy to read even with its length ;-)
Congratulations!

I am also trusting my SEC AD peers about whether the fixed length of the
160-bnit HMAC/ 32-bit random number fields will still be valid in the future.

== COMMENTS ==

-- section 3.4.1 --

"for example, IPv6 addresses when it has IPv4 only" when talking about what
about "an implementation MAY discard incoming address advertisements at will"
but what about a device getting IPv6 connectivity after the initial connection?
Or the other way round, finally getting an IPv4 address via DHCPv4 'long after'
IPv6 SLAAC+ optimistic DAD are executed? I understand that this is a MAY but...

-- section 3.4.2 --

An IPv6 address can also become no more preferred as you know, so may I suggest
to add this case in addition to 'interface disappears' ?

-- section 6 --

While indeed MPTCP can increase the number of false positives in IPS/IDS, I
would be more concerned by false negatives (== not detecting a threat) or are
we using different meanings for 'false positive' ? Perhaps worth writing in the
clear 'not detecting a threat' ?

== NITS ==

--section 3.1--

the bits labelled 'A'to 'H' could have been numbered or labelled with
'meaningful' letters.