Re: [multipathtcp] Comments on draft-ietf-mptcp-architecture-02

"Ford, Alan" <alan.ford@roke.co.uk> Mon, 29 November 2010 17:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:25:37 -0000
From: "Ford, Alan" <alan.ford@roke.co.uk>
To: "SCHARF, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>, multipathtcp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] Comments on draft-ietf-mptcp-architecture-02

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your feedback about the draft, most changes you suggest are easy to incorporate in the next revision (although regarding the first point, a key purpose of this draft is to explain how the various outputs of the WG fit together to create a Multipath TCP solution, and therefore referring to these drafts is necessary in places).

Regarding a paragraph about the comparison with SCTP, this would likely be useful to new readers but I would appreciate input from people more familiar with SCTP for some text. Here is some suggested text as a starting point:

2.4 Related Protocols
  There are several similarities between SCTP [RFC4960] and
  MPTCP, in that both can make use of multiple addresses at end hosts to give
  some multi-path capability. In SCTP, this is by default to support multihoming
  and mobility (i.e. a single path will change one of its end host addresses).
  Extensions are proposed to support simultaneous multipath transport
  [I-D.draft-tuexen-tsvwg-sctp-multipath] but these are yet to
  be standardised. SCTP is, however, a completely new transport protocol and
  as such does not meet the network and application compatibility goals as
  specified above. For network compatibility, there are issues with various
  middleboxes (especially NATs) that are unaware of SCTP and consequently
  end up blocking it. For application compatibility, applications need to
  actively choose to use SCTP, and with the deployment issues very few choose
  to do so. MPTCP's compatibility goals are in part based on these observations
  of SCTP's deployment issues.

Thanks,
Alan