Re: [dnsext] draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-03 -- changes since -02

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Fri, 09 March 2012 20:35 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1331325304; bh=9W4ilWOMV/9d6LjGqoFeVlyCkVYPSfMLc7IGAXqrRuQ=; h=From:Message-Id:To:Date:In-Reply-To:Mime-Version:Cc:Subject: List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:List-Archive:List-Post:List-Help: List-Subscribe:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Sender; b=aN+ALnUw/FysrimEYBDNGrJlxsE8vI5NCusqdhYRnlfZIoxgfIOAD6iNEwmHrAxT7 XyF9gV+EOk13MX3sktX6mQousceVLsY2iUWj7lS2yQhq9zSKdmwZPUpowEDOCLZlbE iIK1UH3/YpG3UvFONcuSnpgWJ++oQjpdfItz5XEc=
From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 21:33:56 +0100
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-03 -- changes since -02
Sender: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org

Masataka Ohta just wrote:
> Alfred wrote:

> Do you mean you gave up presenting any meaningful use cases?

Masataka-san,

There have been complaints that the draft already shows much too
much context and it should better be stripped down to a pure
specification document ignoring any applicability questions.
I have argued in favor of keeping this "glue" text showing how
IXFR fits into the entire picture.

Are you now saying it should also present some kind of detailed
use case analysis or applicability statement, far beyond what is
said in Section 1 and Appendix A (motivation -- by existing use
cases -- for IXFR-ONLY)?  I fear this would likely disqualify the
document for Standards Track.  Do you want that?

Otherwise, someone else might undertake the effort of writing a
companion applicability statement draft targeting Informational RFC.
Listening to operators so far, I have not heard about perceived
need for such a document, but you are cordially invited to submit
a draft, if you think it is needed and worth the effort.

> Then, we have no reason to waste our time to read the unrevised
> draft.
>
>             Masataka Ohta

Readers are invited to independently evaluate the question whether
the draft is "unrevised" based on the draft diffs readily available
from:
  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-03>

Kind regards,
  Alfred.