Re: draft-arends-dnsnr-00

"Olaf M. Kolkman" <olaf@ripe.net> Mon, 26 July 2004 07:47 UTC

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <olaf@ripe.net>
Subject: Re: draft-arends-dnsnr-00
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:47:09 +0200
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
To: Roy Arends <roy@dnss.ec>

I would have liked to keep this genie in its bottle but it occurs that
Roy's proposal is a mixture of NSEC2 and OPT-IN specs. I would say
that the same security properties of OPT-IN apply to the Roy's
proposal. I.e. the record provides proof that a certain part of the
namescpace is insecure. In that part of the insecure namespace you can
happily spoof names away or spoof a microzoft.com response.

If we want to have both obscured names and "non-secured" intervals in
your zone, so that during initial deployment you only have to create
and sign a handful of NSEC variants than Roy's proposal is worth
investigating.

If you want a choice between "fully  secured" zone with obfuscated NSECs
and a zone with "insecure ranges" with obfuscated NSECs than NSEC2 with
an "OPT-IN" type flag seems to be the way forward.

--Olaf
  (no hats)

PS. For a name: Hashed Insecure Interval: HII RR