Re: [dnsext] TALINK RRTYPE review. Start of three week comment period

Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz> Wed, 22 July 2009 14:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:16:41 -0400
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] TALINK RRTYPE review. Start of three week comment period
Cc: ed.lewis@neustar.biz
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

I have an extreme distaste for this proposal.

RRSIG includes inception and expiration times to limit the window of
opportunity for replay attacks as well as the lack of a revocation
mechanism in DNSSEC.  They shouldn't be ignored at all, when a spec
says "Ignore date changes in the RRSIG" there ought to be a security
impact analysis attached.

The draft does not address the security issue of PFS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_forward_secrecy).  I am
concerned that if (say) a 3-year old KSK is finally "broken", it can
be used to construct a new KSK chain to a false key.

Maintaining a history of keys re-balances of key management in
DNSSEC.  If a KSK is effective for one year, it only has to meet the
strength requirements for a year.  If it will be used "forever" to
lead through a chain of keys to the current key, the original KSK has
to be stronger.  For example, NIST is recommending 80 bits of
strength until 2011 or so (in some cases) but 112 bits after that for
some time.  Keeping the KSK around in a history means 80 bits is no
good even now.  And then there's the issue of key disposal.

The NIST recommendations I refer to are highlighted here:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/key_mgmt/documents/June09_Presentations/Elaine_Barker_Transitions_KMWS_June2009.pdf
(to the best of my understanding).

If a KSK is in use for 2010 it can be managed for a one-year
effectivity.  If there's history involved, we switch gears so that
the KSK has an eternal effectivity.

Given my uneasiness with the reason for the record type, I am against
allocating a position in the registry.