Re: [dnsext] RFC 6605 (ECDSA in DNSSEC) -- Q & A

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Fri, 13 April 2012 19:17 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1334344678; bh=UYqtq/EHt8ill5EjEzs6GJqLeBfT1gxKC+PLIdFx5Wk=; h=From:Message-Id:To:Date:In-Reply-To:Mime-Version:Cc:Subject: List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:List-Archive:List-Post:List-Help: List-Subscribe:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Sender; b=CKVSLgVhzgIpfGFpugDHt/X2qPwTAKLpYtz8PoXmI4xksbLdddVPtupKJMxYetKYG 61QHwPTxv/v2uzr163XeQUKBpbdRzReDjj4zwj1XQGKDN9xKj/F3Erj9+4p5SnfmU9 O67hMlf+k0uMfbsHUiA4nd/SViL10gjJe1CtimH8=
From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: sm@resistor.net
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:15:36 +0200
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] RFC 6605 (ECDSA in DNSSEC) -- Q & A
Sender: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org

SM,
thanks for your heads-up toward write-up in an I-D!  ...
> Hi Alfred,
> At 08:24 13-04-2012, Alfred wrote:
>> I have had some off-list conversations on ECDSA for DNSSEC
>> and have been encouraged to make the material available and
>> somehow linked to the just published RFC 6605.
>
> As a Friday 13th comment, if you want to make the material somehow
> linked to RFC 6605, you can file it as an errata.
>
>> I try to send my contribution as a .txt attachment.  If desired,
>> the Chairs could include this material into the WG wiki.
>
> It's easier to post this as an I-D.  If people find it useful at some
> point, it shouldn't be that difficult to get it published as a RFC.
>
> Regards,
> -sm

I'm considering ... but I need to focus my time available on
other work first, so other contributors are invited to step in.

Miek Gieben noted on this thread:
> This faq was very enlightening for me. If Alfred chooses to go
> the I-D route, I hereby volunteer myself as (a second) editor --
> if needed/wanted.

You are welcome, of course, to take the lead!

Maybe other implementers of DNSSEC software components have more
questions, answers, and/or comments.

There's a salt of grain, however, in SM's remark:
"shouldn't be that difficult to get it published as a RFC"
might not apply because there's still the ban for detailed URIs
in RFCs, and I assume that the references given in my posting
are a valuable part that would be missed in an RFC.

So I'll observe upcoming feedback for some time and return
to the topic of deciding on an I-D in May.

To Andrew Sullivan's remark:
> This once again suggests to me that we need to find a place
> to publish this kind of informal material.
>
> Suggestions?

I doubt the DNSEXT related IETF Tools pages will die with the WG;
like expired I-Ds, more likely some pages will be kept on the
graveyard of immortals at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/concluded/ ,
which links to the WG home pages with URIs as before (e.g., I just
discovered there are still full-fledged DNSIND and DNSSEC status
pages at  http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dnsind/
and       http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dnssec/ );
but admittedly, maintenance might become a serious problem.

Maybe DNSOP folks could provide a more permanent home in the IETF
for DNS implementation related resources, so maybe the DNSOP wiki
might be a candidate.

Best regards,
  Alfred.