Re: [dnsext] draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-03.txt

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Fri, 09 March 2012 18:07 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1331316425; bh=ag6N7cqlDmCspz8PFuNvhNMtN79HQDY+WgIBcIZwxMc=; h=From:Message-Id:To:Date:In-Reply-To:Mime-Version:Cc:Subject: List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:List-Archive:List-Post:List-Help: List-Subscribe:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Sender; b=Ls8cHKSENHHDLCHoqeb8I7MVpmaHL5h3F00T+BD7ji7DhxNCIUK/LUzyPsCgqI1ei t2GZNB43YgUDCw7W1ngbglOJWSi+y09GVoUMZNvW86bz6oFHCxWgy2yfNUMCfwEYi+ XyKLfZ6FAXgPoFvGiS+VjcAWEf311afCmQGpH+Ss=
From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: gson@araneus.fi
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:05:56 +0100
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-03.txt
Sender: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org

Andreas,
thanks for your taking time so quickly now to look into the I-D.

Before entering into the details of later Sections,
I think we should establish a solid base.

So to start with there, my questions are:

Is the high-level description given in Section 2 ...
a)  logically correct (from your point of view) ?
b)  consistent with the terse text in RFC 1995 ?
c)  consistent observed on-the-wire format, and hence with
    implementations ?

If you disagree, please give the details.

But if that's correct, we have the problem that the established
response syntax unfortunately does not allow precise parsing
without knowledge of where the end of the response is.
Based on this insight, the draft tries to describe behavior
that depends on a minimum amount of timing/grouping requirements,
yet still allows "fast" determination of the response mode and
correct parsing of the IXFR response in all corner cases,
without having to rely on precious waiting time in order to
determine whether the last response packet received is indeed
the last response packet the server has sent.
IMO, unfortunately, not all response modes defined in RFC 1995
carry an implied "end tag" (sentinel SOA RR, as in AXFR).

So please allow me to defer going into the details below
until we have established consensus on the above basic points
as laid out in Section 2.
Once this has been done, the client's parsing behavior model
described in Section 4 can be discussed much more efficiently.

Kind regards,
  Alfred.