Re: [nbs] NBS and TCP connection identification

Christian Vogt <christian.vogt@ericsson.com> Mon, 27 September 2010 22:17 UTC

From: Christian Vogt <christian.vogt@ericsson.com>
To: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:16:50 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "nbs@ietf.org" <nbs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nbs] NBS and TCP connection identification

Erik Nordmark wrote:

> Clearly the responder can't do a forward lookup when it receives a SYN packet, because that can be used to DoS the responder out of existence.

We thought about this and figured that one could approach the problem in one of the following two ways:

- Have the responder perform a forward DNS lookup as long as the responder has the resources to do so -- i.e., as long as the responder is not under attack.  If the responder does not have the resources, it will deliver a synthesized DNS name, not the initiator's real DNS name, to the application.  This synthesized DNS name will encode the initiator's IP address.

- Have the responder always deliver a synthesized DNS name to the application.  The API could additionally give the responder the possibility to translate this synthesized DNS name to the initiator's real DNS name, if one is registered in the DNS.  Since the latter would be an application-triggered action, it wouldn't imply the security threat in question.

Do you have a preference on one of these two approaches?

- Christian