Re: updated NETCONF charter text (replace instead of merge this time)

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Sat, 10 December 2005 02:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:56:49 -0800
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
CC: 'Balazs Lengyel' <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com>, "Netconf (E-mail)" <netconf@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: updated NETCONF charter text (replace instead of merge this time)
Sender: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org

McDonald, Ira wrote:

>Hi,
>
>While I sympathize with the desire for a granular locking
>mechanism, in the absence of a mandatory standard data model
>for NetConf, the _meaning_ of a fine-grained lock is anyone's
>guess.

Ira is quite correct.
Without a standard for object and instance naming,
there cannot be a standard for identifying which subset of the
configuration datastore is being locked.

Has anyone implemented partial locking yet?
Are you doing it by adding an Xpath expression parameter
to the lock command (hint, hint)?  What about instance naming though?

Sidebar:  I'm not impressed with the way ANY of the XML modeling
languages handle instance naming, but more on that another day...

>Cheers,
>- Ira

Andy