Re: [Netconf] [NETCONF] monitoring data type definitions; proposed resolution to open item from IETF72

"Mark Scott" <markscot@nortel.com> Thu, 23 October 2008 22:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:27:55 -0400
From: Mark Scott <markscot@nortel.com>
To: j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de, Andy Bierman <andy@netconfcentral.com>
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Netconf] [NETCONF] monitoring data type definitions; proposed resolution to open item from IETF72
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

Juergen,

Thank you for the comments.  Per earlier response from Bert I'm going to
kick-off further discussion on this amongst the stakeholders identified
at IETF72.  We'll post a proposal back to the mailing list.

To answer the specific questions from your earlier email:

1.  [Juergen] Do you have a list of work in progress documents where
similar XSD definitions are provided?
	- The only IETF reference I could find was
draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-03 (SMI specific).
	- I also looked at some proprietary data type defs (including
within my own company) but these are not standards.

2.  [Juergen] a) What is going to be the final scope of this? Are these
definitions
   going to be NETCONF monitoring specific only or are there
   expectations that these definitions are used in the wider context
   of the IETF? (The suggested namespace might imply a much wider
   context.)

[Mark]:  My preference would be wider scope but if we can agree
specifically for NETCONF that would suffice for NETCONF monitoring.  We