Re: [Netconf] [NETCONF] monitoring data type definitions; proposed resolution to open item from IETF72

Andy Bierman <andy@netconfcentral.com> Wed, 22 October 2008 16:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:38:10 -0700
From: Andy Bierman <andy@netconfcentral.com>
To: "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Netconf] [NETCONF] monitoring data type definitions; proposed resolution to open item from IETF72
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

Bert Wijnen (IETF) wrote:
> Thanks Juergen for your follow up.
>
> I have responded to Mark (privately) that we actually had a gentlemens
> agreement at
> the last IETF that he would try to get some interested folk in this
> space together
> to analyze, study the topic and alternatives and that that small group
> would then
> document one or more possile solutions and explain the pros/cons of each.
>
> I hope that that effort will still take place (albeit somewhat later
> that we wanted)
>
> I also urge those who want to do that work (analyze, document the
> alternatives,
> make some well-documented proposals) to get in tocuh with Mark.
> You can copy the WG list (or just the WG chairs) if you want.

Creating multiple data model representations of an address
is not acceptable.  I raised this issue 3 or 4 IETFs ago,
and the 'quick-fix' solution is still not available.

The most basic data structure in the entire IETF is
the InetAddress.  If we can't settle on a typedef for an
InetAddress after all this time, that is pretty sad.

Listen to Juergen.  He is right, and we should use
inet-types.yang typedefs and patterns.  This issue
has already been studied, examined, and delayed long enough.

> Bert

Andy