Re: [Netconf] NETCONF call home and new port assignment

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Tue, 25 February 2014 18:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:44:42 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: "Reinaldo Penno (repenno)" <repenno@cisco.com>
Cc: netconf <netconf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] NETCONF call home and new port assignment

Hi,

I am somewhat confused. NETCONF so far assumes that the device can be
contacted by opening a TCP connection from the NMS to the device. In
case the NMS is behind a NAT, this works just fine. The call home work
was started to deal with situations where the device is behind a NAT
while the NMS is not. This is the problem we are solving.

The case of both the device behind a NAT and the NMS behind a NAT is
somewhat esoteric - does someone deploying networks really expect that
this would work? Are you saying this problem needs to be solved based
on real deployment experience where this happens? (I would assume in
such a setup pretty much everything stops working.)

/js