Re: [Netconf] usage of HTTP in restconf-notif-07

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Tue, 18 September 2018 01:36 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: "Reshad Rahman (rrahman)" <rrahman=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>, "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 01:36:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.33.244]
Subject: Re: [Netconf] usage of HTTP in restconf-notif-07

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Netconf [mailto:netconf-bounces@ietf.org] 代表 Reshad Rahman (rrahman)
发送时间: 2018年9月18日 2:24
收件人: Martin Bjorklund; netconf@ietf.org
主题: Re: [Netconf] usage of HTTP in restconf-notif-07

Hi,

PSI.

On 2018-09-17, 1:45 PM, "Netconf on behalf of Martin Bjorklund" <netconf-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of mbj@tail-f.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    I think the -07 version is a step in the right direction for this
    draft.  But I have a comment on the usage of HTTP/2.

    I am not an expert at all in HTTP/2, but I wonder if the way this
    draft uses it is correct.  The draft is very short on details, but
    essentially says that the client POSTs to the "uri" that the server
    returns (probably w/o a body?), and then that the server sends
    individual notifications in DATA frames.  Is this really legal?  RFC
    7540, section 8 says:

       HTTP/2 is intended to be as compatible as possible with current uses
       of HTTP.  This means that, from the application perspective, the
       features of the protocol are largely unchanged.  To achieve this, all
       request and response semantics are preserved, although the syntax of
       conveying those semantics has changed.

    It seems to me that the restconf-notif draft violates this paragraph.

<RR> Ack, HTTP semantics have to be followed, there's no reason to do otherwise. I'll check to see what details/clarifications can be added.

    In fact, it seems that what the draft tries to do is more or less
    exactly the same as SSE, except w/o the details, e.g., it doesn't
    specify the content-type.

    It also seems to me (after some googling) that it is perfectly fine to
    use standard SSE with HTTP/2, and that's what people are using to
    deliver server-generated events/notifs to clients with HTTP/2.

    So, this draft should probably not mention HTTP/2 at all, but instead
    just specify the semantics of the "uri" resource and how a client can
    POST to it to get SSE going.  The draft should the refer to section
    6.4 of RFC 8040 for how notifications are sent from this resource.

<RR> My understanding is that HTTP2 is mentioned in the draft so that we can use HTTP2 streams. The point you're making is that if this is a RESTCONF transport draft then we should just use what's in RFC8040, I'm ok with that but would like to hear from the other authors since I might be missing some history.

[Qin]: +1, Martin speaks my word, I would also like to see restconf-notif align with RFC8040. Setup two channels for both RESTCONF and HTTP2 makes me believe RESTCONF client MUST support HTTP/2.
Regards,
Reshad.

    /martin