Re: [netext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 28 August 2014 09:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:00:52 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>, "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <sgundave@cisco.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: netext@ietf.org, netext-chairs@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 28/08/14 05:42, Charlie Perkins wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am basically O.K. with the suggested.

Same here. Thanks.

> A couple of minor points:
>
> - "any standard security negotiation protocols" -- should this be
> restricted to IETF
>     protocols?  What is the difference between a "security negotiation
> protocol"
>     and a "security protocol"?  Shouldn't we allow static configuration
> in some
>     circumstances for some installations?

Right. In a sense there's no need to say that at all. For interop
with pmipv6 that doesn't split the cp/up, you gotta use IPsec as
that's all the spec'd now. If that's not what concerns you as an
implementer (e.g. between your very own cp/up devices) then you're
as free as ever to do whatever. (Modulo customer RFQs etc.) So not
sure there's that much value in flexibility there.

Cheers,
S.