Re: [netext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 22 August 2014 22:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:51:44 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <sgundave@cisco.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: "netext@ietf.org" <netext@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation@tools.ietf.org>, "netext-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <netext-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hiya,

Sorry for the slow response...

The indentation below is a bit messed up, I hope its clear
who's saying what.

On 13/08/14 17:45, Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) wrote:
> HI Stephen,
>
> Please see inline.
>

> On 8/13/14 5:21 AM, "Stephen Farrell"
> <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie<mailto:stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>> wrote:
>

> Hiya,
>
> A few follow ups...
>
> On 09/08/14 17:54, Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) wrote: Hi Stephen,
> Thanks for the review. Please see inline. On 8/7/14 5:50 AM, "Stephen
> Farrell"
> <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie<mailto:stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>> wrote:
>
> I have two questions. They could be easy or hard, I'm not sure:-)
> Apologies in advance if I've forgotten what little I ever knew about
> PMIPv6 and gotten stuff wrong here. Not at all. Thanks for the
> discussion.
>
> (1) PMIPv6 traffic between MAG and LMA is generally assumed to be
> protected via IPsec, right? Assuming that's actually done, does
> figure 1 here indicate a weakening of security since it shows that IP
> encapsulation is used between MAG-UP and LMA-UP without any mention
> of IPsec. Is that downgrading security? I get that the binding
> messages are the most important and will presumably continue on the
> control plane but what else changes? Yes. PMIPv6 allows the use of
> IPsec security (Tunnel Mode ESP) protection
>
> "allows"? Do you happen to know if that's really used or not in
> practice? (That's not a DISCUSS point, but I do wonder.)
>
> Security for user-plane traffic protection is used in very few
> deployments.

Ah.

> Taking the Service Provider Wi-Fi deployment as an
> example, there is 802.1x security on the air interface, and then
> there is typical end to end application security (even a Google
> search is HTTPS protected).  Now requiring security on the user plane
> traffic between two points in the operator network (LMA and MAG) is
> some what redundant, IMO. Use of IPsec for UP traffic protection is
> optional per MIPv6/PMIPv6 specs.  I'd say banking type
> applications/deployments requires such multi-layer security.

Hmm. I don't see that it makes any sense to assume IPsec is
done differently per-application. So I guess we ought assume
that IPsec isn't used for user traffic.

Is it really used for control plane traffic do you know?

But in a sense this spec is lowering the bar a little.
5213 requires implementation of IPsec on the node that
carries the UP traffic, even if it doesn't require its
use.

In this case, you're not even requiring implementation.
So if say, a MAG-UP were to talk to a LMA that is both
CP and UP, then the latter node would support IPsec for
UP, if so configured, but the MAG-UP might not even
implement IPsec.

Does that mean that you need to a a requirement here to
make IPsec MTI for the MAG-UP and LMA-UP, so that they
can interop with non-split MAGs and LMAs?

I'd assume that'd be easy enough and it'd clear up
that discuss point.

> [...]
> address/prefixes allocated to the MN) must be anchored on the LMA-UP.
> I think we missed capturing this in the spec. Thanks for pointing
> this out.
>

> OLD:
>
> The LMA Control Plane and the LMA User Plane functions are typically
> deployed on the same IP node and in such scenario the interface
> between these functions is internal to the implementation.
> Deployments may also choose to deploy the LMA Control Plane and the
> LMA User Plane functions on seperate IP nodes. In such deployment
> models, there needs to be a protocol interface between these two
> functions and which is outside the scope of this document. Possible
> options for such interface include OpenFlow [OpenFlow-Spec-v1.4.0
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-06#ref-OpenFlow-Spec-v1.4.0>],
>
> FORCES [RFC5810 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5810>], use of routing
infrastructure
> [I-D.matsushima-stateless-uplane-vepc
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-06#ref-I-D.matsushima-stateless-uplane-vepc>]
> or vendor specific approaches. This specification does not mandate a
> specific protocol interface and views this interface as a generic
> interface relevant more broadly for many other protocol systems in
> addition to Proxy Mobile IPv6.
>

> NEW:
>
> The LMA Control Plane and the LMA User Plane functions are typically
> deployed on the same IP node and in such scenario the interface
> between these functions is internal to the implementation.
> Deployments may also choose to deploy the LMA Control Plane and the
> LMA User Plane functions on seperate IP nodes. In such deployment
> models, there needs to be a protocol interface between these two
> functions and which is outside the scope of this document. Possible
> options for such interface include OpenFlow [OpenFlow-Spec-v1.4.0
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-06#ref-OpenFlow-Spec-v1.4.0>],

FORCES [RFC5810 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5810>], use of routing
infrastructure
> [I-D.matsushima-stateless-uplane-vepc
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-06#ref-I-D.matsushima-stateless-uplane-vepc>]
> or vendor specific approaches. This specification does not mandate a
> specific protocol interface and views this interface as a generic
> interface relevant more broadly for many other protocol systems in
> addition to Proxy Mobile IPv6. When the LMA Control Plane and the LMA
> User Plane functions are deployed on separate IP nodes, the
> requirement related to user-plane address anchoring specified in
> Section 5.6.2 [RFC-5213] and Section 3.1.3 [RFC5844] must be met by
> the  node hosting the LMA user plane functionality. The LMA user
> plane node must be topological anchor point for the IP
> address/prefixes allocated to the mobile node.

I'm not quite sure if that does sort out the issue or not,
but I'm willing to believe you and Brian if you're telling
me it does.

So with that OLD/NEW and adding IPsec as MTI for the
*-UP nodes, I think we'd be done.

Cheers,
S.

COMMENT: