Re: [netext] Logical Interface draft

Daniel Corujo <dcorujo@av.it.pt> Thu, 21 August 2014 09:01 UTC

From: Daniel Corujo <dcorujo@av.it.pt>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:01:14 +0100
To: "netext@ietf.org" <netext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netext] Logical Interface draft

Dear all,

Please kindly accept my review on this draft.

Overall, I think that it provides a very useful initial description for the topic, but, IMHO, it is really demanding for some added details. Please consider:

1 - The document focuses on PMIPv6. Although it is currently the de-facto mobility management protocol, there are currently other efforts underway, particularly DMM. I am sure that there are a lot of people who would be interested in analysing the impact that the logical interface would have in such architectures (or be impacted by them). As such, not only a specific section addressing other mobility management schemes, but actually shifting PMIPv6 to a specific scenario within this draft, rather than than its focus, would allow the draft to be more informatively broad and future-proof.

2 - In section 3.2.1 it is indicated that “the handover across access points need not to be hidden to the IP layer since the IP layer configuration remains the same after a handover”. However, IP configuration steps are still triggered, such as sending out Router Solicitations and collecting Router Advertisements, in the case of IPv6 Stateless Autoconfiguration. This will impact the terminal, even in intra-technology handovers.

3 - Point 2) in this email also raises an issue which should be interesting to cover in this draft. One can consider that the identified interface to realize PMIPv6 proceedings would be the Logical Interface. However, in a handover situation, how would the mechanism chose through which physical sub-interface the Router Solicitation would be sent? Each sub-interface has a different MAC address and, in the case of IPv6 Stateless Autoconfiguration, the requested suffix would be different. I might be missing something, so please correct me if I am wrong. Nonetheless, this also hints that the scenarios shown in sections 6.1 and 6.2 could use a little bit of more information and detail.

4 - Also in section 3.2.1, in the 2nd paragraph, regarding “the logical interface would not be used to provide simultaneous access for purposes of multihoming or flow mobility”: would it be interesting to consider load balancing or reliability aspects, considering a Single IP Address / Multiple physical interfaces case?

5 - I think that section 4, which is called “Technology Use Cases” should be enhanced with more examples. Basically all the examples indicated in this section have been hinted in text here and there in the previous sections, so it does not explicitly add nothing new.

6 - In section 5, regarding the 1st property of the logical interface, it would be interesting to add a bit more information on how its relationship with the set of physical interfaces is done. Is it just the LIF and FLOW tables?

7 - In section 5.1, regarding the “logical router that in turns decides which physical interface is to be used to transmit packets”, seems to me to be very interesting and could be further extended to encompass rule-based configuration. For example, besides the usual “default” rule, a sequential list, just to name an example.

8 - In section 5.2, the PIF table is mentioned, but Figure 2 addresses the LIF table and FLOW table.

9 - In section 5.2, is it possible to add indication on how the tables can handle several LIF’s? Or each LIF has its own set of tables? If so, whenever packets are received, does the “Connection Manager” need to check each table from each LIF, as per “In case traffic of an existing flow is suddenly received from the network on a different sub-interface than the one locally stored, the logical interface should interprete the event as an explicit flow mobility trigger from the network (…)”. Seems to me that this would cause some performance issues…

10 - In Sections 6.1 and 6.2, as indicated before, more details should be given about each procedure. For example, beyond the LMA’s Binding Table, it would be interesting to see the dynamics of the LIF and FLOW tables before and after the handover. This is important to evaluate the behaviour aspects of the LIF in particular situations as well, such as handovering a flow to an interface that has been connected for sometime.

11 - The remainder of my comments are just editorial:
 - Abstract, line8, should be “ (…) details of THE logical interface (…) “.
 - Page 3, 3rd paragraph, line 1, there is no need for “network” before “network-based”.
 - Page 3, 3rd paragraph, line 4, suggestion of replacing “afford” with “allow”
 - Page 5, 1st paragraph, line 2, should be “ (…) or movement from THE host IP layer.”
 - Page 5, Section 3.1, 2nd bullet, line 1, should be “ (…) that logically groupS/bondS (…) “
 - Page 8, Section 4, 1st paragraph, line 4, it it really “available devices” or should it be “available accesses” or “available interfaces”?
 - Page 8, Section 4, 3rd paragraph, line 1, should be “ (…) setup is based on THE creation (…) “
 - Page 10, Section 5.1, 2nd paragraph, line 3, should be “ (…) that in turn decides (…) “
 - Page 10, Section 5.2, 1st paragraph, missing “.” after “Figure 2”.

Hope these comments support the draft. Any comments on suggestions are welcome!

Best regards,

Daniel Corujo, Ph.D., Research Fellow
Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal
http://re.vu/dcorujo