[Netext] LMA redirection (was RE: WG Review: Network-Based MobilityExtensions (netext))

jouni.nospam at gmail.com (jouni korhonen) Wed, 22 April 2009 09:34 UTC

From: "jouni.nospam at gmail.com"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:34:56 +0300
Subject: [Netext] LMA redirection (was RE: WG Review: Network-Based MobilityExtensions (netext))

Hi Yungui,

Some answer inline.

On Apr 22, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Yungui Wang wrote:

> Hi Jouni
>
> Please see inline...

Righty. Currently this is somewhat vaguely said there. That is
highlighted more to some extent in the next revision of the solution I-
D. Once I get it submitted ;)

Anyway, how many addresses shall or will be exposed is always
dependent on the deployment and operator configuration.

>>> Again, I think, MAG re-selecting LMA (e.g. based on rfLMA's
>>> redirection or overload indirection, or LMA address list from FQDN)
>>> is a good choice, at least for scenario of each LMA is separate box.
>>> This is because,
>>> on the one hand, each LMA neither needs explicit mobility
>>> management signaling to other, nor needs to know other's load info
>>> due to load info is a integrative and complex value (e.g. CPU 75%
>>> is overloading for one LMA, but not for another).
>>> on the other hand, it is consistent with basis LMA discovery
>>> mechanism.
>>
>> I don't think there needs to be any mobility signaling between LMAs.
>
> In this draft, when rfLMA redirect the MAG to a r2LMA, doesn't
> the rfLMA forward the request(PBU) to the r2LMA?

The current text in section 5.2. surface this topic and state it is
out of scope of this specification. I guess we need to have some more
text there but I really don't see a reason to define how rfLMA and
r2LMA exactly exchange information/data between each other.

>> Of course LMAs need to share information between each other but
>> obviously vendors have existing proprietary and standardized
>> solutions
>> for that.

>>> Always is it for each LMA is on the same level.
>>
>> I did not understand what you meant here.
>>

> Sorry. My point is, there is no primary LMA. Each LMA can do
> redirection if it is overloaded. After redirection completed, other
> LMA has taken over the corresponding session. So 'Not require
> the primary LMA to be in path' is a natural result.

It depends on the deployment and load balancer approach some decides
to implement. So there are deployment models that would have a
"primary LMA"/load balancer in path.. and some model where not.

Jouni