RE: [netlmm] timestamp vs seqno redux

"Kilian Weniger" <Kilian.Weniger@eu.panasonic.com> Tue, 11 September 2007 13:42 UTC

Subject: RE: [netlmm] timestamp vs seqno redux
To: Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:33:01 +0200
From: Kilian Weniger <Kilian.Weniger@eu.panasonic.com>
Cc: netlmm@ietf.org

Hi Sri,

my point is that NOT mandating synchronization to an external clock
source for the timestamp option implies that sending PBU msgs with
timestamp option is allowed even when MAGs are not (yet) synchronized.
I.e., it would be allowed that a deployment uses only the returned
timestamps in PBA msgs to synchronize the MAG clocks. I think the draft
should not allow this for the following reasons:

1. If a MAG's clock is out of sync (i.e., not yet synced by receiving a
PBA with timestamp) AND PBUs sent by this MAG are delayed, the out of
sync situation may not be detectable by the LMA and old PBUs may be
accepted by the LMA.

Consider the following example: MN attaches to MAG1 and shortly
thereafter hands over to MAG2. MAG2's clock is in sync with LMA's clock,
but MAG1's clock is out of sync and is ahead of LMA's clock by 5
seconds. MAG1-LMA link is highly congested. When MN attaches to MAG1,
MAG1 sends PBU1 msg to LMA. This happens 3 seconds before the MN hands
over to MAG2. The PBU1 msg is delayed by 5 seconds due to the congestion
and hence arrives at LMA 2 seconds after handover. Despite of the delay,
PBU1 has a valid timestamp from LMA's point of view due to the wrong
clock of MAG1. MAG2 sends a PBU2 msg 1 second after handover. PBU2 is
not significantly delayed and arrives at LMA ~1 seconds after handover
with valid timestamp. In this scenario, the LMA will wrongly accept PBU1
arriving after PBU2, since both have a valid timestamp. Consequently,
the LMA forwards packets to the wrong MAG (MAG1) and will not notice the
out of sync of MAG1, which also means that the LMA doesn't return a
timestamp in the PBA and MAG1's clock keeps to be out of sync.

2. When packets on the link between MAG and LMA experience high (and
varying) packet delays (e.g., due to congestion), the timestamp in the
PBA returned by the LMA may already be outdated at the time it arrives
at the MAG. So exactly in the situation where a re-ordering of PBUs is
needed, the synchronization mechanism may fail.

My two cents.

BR,

Kilian