Re: [netmod] kw comments on draft-voit-netmod-yang-mount-requirements

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 06 April 2016 12:30 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>, alex@cisco.com
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:29:55 -0300
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] kw comments on draft-voit-netmod-yang-mount-requirements

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "Alexander Clemm (alex)" <alex@cisco.com> wrote:
>> Hi, Martin, Lada,
>>
>> unfortunately I wasn't able to attend the discussion, but I have one
>> comment regarding the "definition" vs "implementation" distinction.
>
> I probably failed to communicate my point clearly.  I did not want to
> make the distinction in this way.
>
>> Clearly, peer-mount and alias-mount have a definition component to
>> it.
>
> Yes, absolutely.  I don't think I implied that they didn't.
>
>> This is why the YANG extensions were defined to define mountpoints.
>> This definition component can be aligned with structural mount, and
>> the goal needs to be to reuse the same.  So far, so good.
>
> Yes, this was my point.  In Eric's presentation he had "schema mount",
> "peer-mount", and "alias-mount" on the same level; all three different
> variations of the generic concept "YANG Mount".  I think that is
> incorrect; we should have a generic "schema mount", with "peer-mount"
> and "alias-mount" being specializations of this concept.

I would go even further: schema mount and peer mount are independent and
orthogonal (not sure about alias mount - this is probably still
something else). That is, I can build a data model with schema mount,
and use it for validating a good old local datastore. Conversely, it is
IMO possible to apply peer mount and validate the data against a data
model that's constructed according to the existing rules.

So, even though it may be sometimes beneficial to combine schema mount
and peer mount, I believe they can and should be implemented as two
independent concepts. A pure schema mount should have no security
implications, whereas accessing remote data certainly has some. And
accepting a (sub)schema from an external source requires IMO even higher
level of trust.

Lada