Re: [netmod] Fwd: Re: [Rtg-dt-yang-arch] I-D Action: draft-rtgyangdt-rtgwg-device-model-03.txt

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Fri, 04 March 2016 13:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 14:24:57 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: Kent Watsen <kwatsen@juniper.net>
Cc: "rtgwg-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <rtgwg-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, NETMOD Working Group <netmod@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Fwd: Re: [Rtg-dt-yang-arch] I-D Action: draft-rtgyangdt-rtgwg-device-model-03.txt

I do not know what 'we are already on it' means. I am aware of [1] and
it says:

    [...] Although this is a concern across the entire scope of YANG
    models, this design team is focused on the question of providing
    an architecture for the protocols and functionality contained
    inside the Routing Area.

I understand that there are valuable discussions in NETMOD that were
triggered by this work of this design team, e.g., how to deal with
virtual (routing) instances. I am less clear when it comes to the
definition of a general 'uebermodel' for network devices that affects
all YANG models (in the IETF or even beyond). Who is charted to define
such a model?

/js

[1] http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/RtgYangArchDT