Re: [netmod] draft-bjorklund-netmod-structural-mount: Namespace issues

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Sat, 09 April 2016 07:32 UTC

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 09:32:34 +0200
To: chopps@chopps.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] draft-bjorklund-netmod-structural-mount: Namespace issues

<chopps@chopps.org> wrote:

> Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> writes:
>
> > Hi Anton,
> >
> > Anton Tkáčik <anton.tkacik@pantheon.tech> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> if I understand correctly netmod-structural-mount inlines "mounted" data directly to container / list which is used,
> >>
> >> which brings up following issues:
> >>

> >> 1. It is possible to have identifier conflict between data from model
> >> defining mount and mounted data (if mounted schema
> >
> > I think we need to eliminate all kinds of recursive mount, so this
> > should not happen.
>
> While I think I need more help understanding the original problem (maybe
> more explicit example of where the conflict is?), I wanted to point out
> that when we (the RTG yang DT) originally came up with our desire for a
> schema-mount, the ability to mount things recursively was seen as a
> feature, and not something to be restricted or disallowed. For example
> consider a physical network device that creates a logical network
> element, which could then creates its own logical network element (i.e.,
> a guest of the guest of the host in VM terms)

The current schema-mount supports recursive mounts in the schema
(e.g., if ietf-logical-devices has a mountpoint, it might be that
ietf-logical-devices is mounted there).  Maybe 'nested mounts' is a
better term.  But with a solution like peer mount, you probably want
to stay out of recursive mounts (A mounts B which mounts A).

I also do not understand the original question regarding identifier
conflicts.

/martin