Re: [netmod] ?= ?==?utf-8?q? mandatory choice with non-presence container cas

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Tue, 25 June 2019 13:14 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: netmod@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 15:14:15 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] ?= ?==?utf-8?q? mandatory choice with non-presence container cas

On Tue, 2019-06-25 at 13:59 +0200, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> Michal Vaško <mvasko@cesnet.cz> wrote:
> > Hi Rob,
> > actually, I have used model with the container TOP just for
> > simplification, I have encountered the issue while implementing
> > ietf-ssh-server model from its current draft. I have created the
> > container "users" [1] without any "user" list instances. Now, you may
> > argue that this is still not a valid use-case because there are no
> > users but I only tried to satisfy the condition.
>
> Yes, I think that this list (user) should have a "min-elements 1".  I
> think that matches the i ntent.

Interestingly, the "users" container actually becomes a P-container: its
presence indicates that the corresponding case is selected. It might make sense
for an admin to select this case even before any users are configured.

This example also exposes the drawback of the XML representation - it cannot
distinguish between an empty list and nothing. In JSON, the problems of this
thread could potentially be circumvented by configuring

"users" : {
    "user" : [
    ]
}