Re: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-lange-netmod-iana-timezones-00.txt

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 28 June 2012 08:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:31:48 +0200
To: jeffrey.k.lange@ge.com
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-lange-netmod-iana-timezones-00.txt

Hi,

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 03:37:03PM -0700, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
> >
> > A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> >

> > 	Title           : IANA Timezone Database YANG Module
> > 	Author(s)       : Jeffrey Lange
> > 	Filename        : draft-lange-netmod-iana-timezones-00.txt
> > 	Pages           : 40
> > 	Date            : 2012-06-27
> >
> > Abstract:
> >    This document defines the initial version of the iana-timezone YANG
> >    module.
>
> Thanks for putting this together. Perhaps the I-D should refer to RFC
> 6667 and the rules therein under which circumstances new TZ names are
> created. In fact, it seems that the maintenance really is in the hands
> of the TZ Coordinator and IANA is essentially providing infrastructure
> and the framework in which he does his work. So most likely, in
> practical terms, the TZ coordinator would have to create the YANG
> module as well. Since the database is in a machine readable form, I
> guess what he likely need is an advanced version of your script that
> automatically generates the YANG module and if it changes, it needs to
> be pushed to the IANA place where the YANG modules are published.

I think the module probably has to be maintained manually by IANA.
The reason for this is the YANG update rule (Section 10 of RFC 6020):

   o  An "enumeration" type may have new enums added, provided the old
      enums's values do not change.

The current enum list is sorted in alphabetic order, and it must be
clear to IANA that they need to alloacte a new value for the new
value.  So they can probably not just re-generate the module from
their database - unless they add the value to their db of course.

I just realized that you didn't include the value statement in this
version (it was there in your first proposal).  I suggest you put it
back for the reasons given above.

Some comments on the module:

1. You should probably fix your script to trim empty descriptions:

     enum "Africa/Abidjan" {
       description
         "";
     }

   should be

     enum "Africa/Abidjan" {
       value 1;
     }

2. You should add a description and a reference to the typedef.  The
   reference should point to the IANA registry:
   ("http://www.iana.org/time-zones")

3. And a nit - there's a trailing "<" in the introduction:

   Whenever a new timezone name is added to the IANA "timezone
   database", the iana-timezones module is updated by IANA.<

/martin