[Newsclips] IETF SYN-ACK Newspack 2021-02-08

David Goldstein <david@goldsteinreport.com> Mon, 08 February 2021 11:19 UTC

From: David Goldstein <david@goldsteinreport.com>
To: newsclips@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 22:19:20 +1100
Subject: [Newsclips] IETF SYN-ACK Newspack 2021-02-08

The IETF SYNACK Newspack collects IETF-related items from a variety of news outlets and other online publications. They do not represent the views of the IETF and are not checked for factual accuracy.

**********************

IETF IN THE NEWS

**********************

25 Years of John Barlow's Declaration of Independence in Cyberspace: When Visions Meet Realities by Wolfgang Kleinwächter

On February 8, 1996, John Perry Barlow published his "Declaration of Independence in Cyberspace" in Davos. Inspired by the "Digital Revolution" and the "Dot-Com-Boom", he predicted a new "Home of Mind," a cyber world without governments. "Governments of the Industrial World", he wrote, "you weary giants of flesh and steel. I come from cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather."

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20210206-25-years-of-john-barlows-declaration-of-independence-in-cyberspace/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20210206-25-years-of-john-barlows-declaration-of-independence-in-cyberspace/>

WebRTC Adopted As Official Web Standard

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the IETF have announced that Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC) is now an official web standard.

< <https://www.i-programmer.info/news/81-web-general/14323-webrtc-adopted-as-official-web-standard.html> https://www.i-programmer.info/news/81-web-general/14323-webrtc-adopted-as-official-web-standard.html>

What WebRTC means for you

If I told you that two weeks ago IETF and W3C finally published the standards for WebRTC, your response would probably be to ask what all those acronyms were. Read on to find out!

< <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/02/04/what-webrtc-means-for-you/> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/02/04/what-webrtc-means-for-you/>

TLS vs SSL – What is the Difference?

... Moreover, the protocol was susceptible to truncation attacks as it relied on the TCP FIN to finish a session. The SSL v2 did not have the protection of the handshake that could lead to man-in-the-middle attacks. The third version of SSL was published in 1996 by the IETF. This version was widely in use as recently as in 2014 until few security flaws were found. There was a flaw that allowed hackers to decrypt information, like authentication cookies.

< <https://programminginsider.com/tls-vs-ssl-what-is-the-difference/> https://programminginsider.com/tls-vs-ssl-what-is-the-difference/>

Some Effects Of The Exhaustion Of IPv4 Addresses

... Precisely for this reason, the organization in charge of the standardization of Internet protocols (IETF, Internet Engineering Task Force), designed, together with IPV6 itself, a series of mechanisms that we call transition and coexistence.

< <https://nerdsmagazine.com/some-effects-of-the-exhaustion-of-ipv4-addresses/> https://nerdsmagazine.com/some-effects-of-the-exhaustion-of-ipv4-addresses/>

Learn Network Automation With CISCO For Free

... And finally, in Introduction to Model Driven Programmability in which all our efforts lead us to the real deal - talking to devices through network management standards like NETCONF/YANG. Building on RFC 3535, the IETF developed NETCONF and YANG to offer a standard protocol and data modeling language for programmatic network management.

< <https://www.i-programmer.info/news/150-training-a-education/14324-learn-network-automation-with-cisco-for-free.html> https://www.i-programmer.info/news/150-training-a-education/14324-learn-network-automation-with-cisco-for-free.html>

TLS vs SSL – What is the Difference?

... The third version of SSL was published in 1996 by the IETF. This version was widely in use as recently as in 2014 until few security flaws were found. There was a flaw that allowed hackers to decrypt information, like authentication cookies.

< <https://programminginsider.com/tls-vs-ssl-what-is-the-difference/> https://programminginsider.com/tls-vs-ssl-what-is-the-difference/>

FOSDEM: Secure Scuttlebutt im Browser für dezentrale Netze [FOSDEM: Secure Scuttlebutt in browser for decentralized networks]

... Für Netzwerkverbindungen nutzt die Browser-Portierung das TCP-Protokoll WebSocket, das bidirektionale Kommunikation über eine TCP-Verbindung bietet. Es ist seit 2011 von der IETF standardisiert und besonders effizient im Vergleich zu HTTP: Der Overhead von WebSocket ist mit zwei Byte pro Nachricht besonders effizient. Bei HTTPS sind es mehrere Hundert Byte Overhead. Anders Jensens SSB-Implementierung nutzt "libsodium.js" als Kryptografiemodul und kommt dabei laut eigener Aussage immerhin auf bis zu 90 Prozent der Geschwindigkeit von nativ implementierten Kryptobibliotheken.

< <https://www.heise.de/news/FOSDEM-Secure-Scuttlebutt-im-Browser-fuer-dezentrale-Netze-5048044.html> https://www.heise.de/news/FOSDEM-Secure-Scuttlebutt-im-Browser-fuer-dezentrale-Netze-5048044.html>

Mời tham gia Hội chợ Máy móc thiết bị & Công nghệ Quốc tế tại Ấn Độ lần thứ 24 [Invited to the 24th International Machinery and Technology Fair in India]

Từ ngày 25/02 đến ngày 24/03 Liên đoàn Công nghiệp Ấn Độ (CII) sẽ tổ chức Hội chợ về Máy móc thiết bị & Công nghệ Quốc tế (IETF 2021) lần thứ 24 trên nền tảng trực tuyến CII Hive.

< <https://thuongtruong.com.vn/news/moi-tham-gia-hoi-cho-may-moc-thiet-bi-cong-nghe-quoc-te-tai-an-do-lan-thu-24-46230.html> https://thuongtruong.com.vn/news/moi-tham-gia-hoi-cho-may-moc-thiet-bi-cong-nghe-quoc-te-tai-an-do-lan-thu-24-46230.html>

李星:互联网技术和教育信息化的历史与未来 [Li Xing: The History and Future of Internet Technology and Educational Informatization}

... 1.开放参与。任何个人都可以向IETF提交标准草案(Draft)。标准决策过程中的多元参与增强了多利益相关方的合法性。例如,业界一直以来提倡的“open source(开放源码)”正是遵循这一原则。

< <http://www.edu.cn/xxh/focus/li_lun_yj/202102/t20210202_2074661.shtml> http://www.edu.cn/xxh/focus/li_lun_yj/202102/t20210202_2074661.shtml>

ビデオチャット機能をWeb・モバイルアプリへ容易に追加できる「WebRTC」が標準仕様に ["WebRTC", which can easily add video chat functions to web and mobile apps, becomes a standard specification]

World Wide Web Consortium(W3C)とInternet Engineering Task Force(IETF)は、WebRTC(Web Real-Time Communications)が公式に標準仕様となったことを、1月26日(現地時間)に発表した。

< <https://codezine.jp/article/detail/13589> https://codezine.jp/article/detail/13589>

“인터넷이 지구 반대편을 연결하는 방법” BGP의 개념과 동작 원리 ["How the Internet Connects the Other Side of the World" Concept of BGP and How It Works]

... IETF의 정의에 따르면 BGP의 주 기능은 “다른 BGP 시스템과 네트워크 도달 가능성 정보를 교환하는 것”이다. BGP는 원활하게 작동하면서 이런 개별 시스템이 상호 연계해 인터넷을 형성하도록 한다.

< <https://www.itworld.co.kr/insight/181614> https://www.itworld.co.kr/insight/181614>

一周大事:政府要帶領部會及民間產業發展AI聯合學習應用 [Big event of the week: The government should lead the ministry and the development of private industry AI to jointly learn the application]

... 兩大標準制定組織W3C和IETF宣布,WebRTC(Web Real-Time Communications,WebRTC)已經成為官方標準,可在網頁平臺良好地支援聲音及影像通訊。WebRTC是由網頁即時通訊JavaScript API和一組通訊協定組成,可讓任何網路上的連接裝置,成為網頁上潛在通訊端點,為瀏覽器、行動裝置和桌面應用程式,提供即時視訊通話能力。更多內容

< <https://www.ithome.com.tw/news/142656> https://www.ithome.com.tw/news/142656>

**********************

SECURITY & PRIVACY

**********************

us: CISA Takes the Next Step in Advancing Emergency Communications Next Generation Priority Services

The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) announced it will pilot a new technology in support of the Next Generation Network Priority Service (NGN-PS) Phase 2 program, which provides first responders and emergency managers with priority voice, data, and video communications during emergencies and widespread outages. This pilot is part of CISA’s ongoing development of priority services for voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)-based networks. The pilot uses a technology known as Comm³, which employs multimodal mesh network technology to breakdown barriers to connectivity between different platforms and protocols.

< <https://www.hstoday.us/subject-matter-areas/emergency-preparedness/cisa-takes-the-next-step-in-advancing-emergency-communications-next-generation-priority-services/> https://www.hstoday.us/subject-matter-areas/emergency-preparedness/cisa-takes-the-next-step-in-advancing-emergency-communications-next-generation-priority-services/>

Is Biden’s $10B Enough to Make US Cybersecurity Great Again?

President Joe Biden made cybersecurity a top priority for his administration even before he took office last month. In December, shortly after threat researchers disclosed the SolarWinds hack that hit upwards of 250 government agencies and major tech companies, Biden pledged to “make dealing with this breach a top priority from the moment we take office.”

< <https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/biden-10b-us-cybersecurity-great-again/2021/02/> https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/biden-10b-us-cybersecurity-great-again/2021/02/>

Highlights of the Cybersecurity Standardisation Conference

The European Standards Organisations, CEN, CENELEC and ETSI, joined forces with ENISA, the European Union Agency for Cybersecurity, to organise its annual conference virtually this year. The event, which took place from 2nd to 4th February, attracted over 2000 participants from the EU and from around the world.

< <https://www.enisa.europa.eu/news/enisa-news/highlights-of-the-cybersecurity-standardisation-conference> https://www.enisa.europa.eu/news/enisa-news/highlights-of-the-cybersecurity-standardisation-conference>

< <https://www.etsi.org/newsroom/news/1882-2021-02-highlights-of-the-cybersecurity-standardization-conference> https://www.etsi.org/newsroom/news/1882-2021-02-highlights-of-the-cybersecurity-standardization-conference>

BGP, RPKI, and MANRS: 2020 in review

In 2020, the Internet was a lifeline for many people across the world as COVID-19 shifted schools and businesses online. It was only logical then that we would see an increase in Internet usage across the globe. As Fastly highlighted in this blog post, the global rise in Internet demand was indeed dramatic.

< <https://blog.apnic.net/2021/02/05/bgp-rpki-and-manrs-2020-in-review/> https://blog.apnic.net/2021/02/05/bgp-rpki-and-manrs-2020-in-review/>

Tripwire Patch Priority Index for January 2021

Tripwire’s January 2021 Patch Priority Index (PPI) brings together important vulnerabilities from Microsoft, Dnsmasq and Oracle.

< <https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/vert/tripwire-patch-priority-index-january-2021/> https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/vert/tripwire-patch-priority-index-january-2021/>

< <https://securityboulevard.com/2021/02/tripwire-patch-priority-index-for-january-2021/> https://securityboulevard.com/2021/02/tripwire-patch-priority-index-for-january-2021/>

**********************

INTERNET OF THINGS

**********************

On Point: Q&A with Vint Cerf

How will new mobile technologies, such as 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT), change military communications?

< <https://www.afcea.org/content/point-qa-vint-cerf> https://www.afcea.org/content/point-qa-vint-cerf>

The Internet of Things is helping create a more sustainable future

>From construction to manufacturing and utilities to public transportation, Covid-19 has exposed many of the shortfalls of the pre-pandemic world, but investment in the right technologies can bring it back on track

< <https://www.wired.co.uk/article/internet-of-things-sustainable-future> https://www.wired.co.uk/article/internet-of-things-sustainable-future>

Cybersecurity Threats: The Daunting Challenge Of Securing The Internet Of Things

The Internet of Things (IoT) broadly refers to devices and equipment that are readable, recognizable, locatable, addressable and/or controllable via the internet. This incorporates physical objects communicating with each other including machine to machine, and machine to people. It encompasses everything from edge computing devices to home appliances, from wearable technology to cars. IoT represents the melding of the physical world and the digital world.

< <https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckbrooks/2021/02/07/cybersecurity-threats-the-daunting-challenge-of-securing-the-internet-of-things/> https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckbrooks/2021/02/07/cybersecurity-threats-the-daunting-challenge-of-securing-the-internet-of-things/>

**********************

OTHERWISE NOTEWORTHY

**********************

Internet Society Foundation Awards $1M in Research Grants Studying the Future of the Internet

>From the environment to the economy, the Internet is reshaping and disrupting several sectors of our society. What might future patterns of disruption look like? How will these changes affect all of us, particularly those on the margins of society? What new solutions can we generate today, to address the challenges of tomorrow?

< <https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2021/02/internet-society-foundation-awards-1m-in-research-grants-studying-the-future-of-the-internet/> https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2021/02/internet-society-foundation-awards-1m-in-research-grants-studying-the-future-of-the-internet/>

The Inventors of the Internet: An introduction to the people that invented the world we take so much for granted, and where to find out more about them.

Throughout the years I have worked with computers, I have been fascinated by the human story behind the technological breakthroughs — the people that changed the world. I have brought a few of the more prominent names together below, introducing their influence on the world we now take so much for granted.

< <https://medium.com/the-shadow/the-inventors-of-the-internet-894e94c454e> https://medium.com/the-shadow/the-inventors-of-the-internet-894e94c454e>

InterPlanetary Networking Special Interest Group (IPNSIG) Newsletter for January 2021

We will be publishing a newsletter every month, highlighting some topic of interest to our membership. Our inaugural newsletter is authored by IPNSIG cofounder and Board Member Vint Cerf. Enjoy!

< <http://ipnsig.org/2021/01/23/ipnsig-newsletter-for-january-2021/> http://ipnsig.org/2021/01/23/ipnsig-newsletter-for-january-2021/>

Find Out Who Received a 2021 IEEE Major Award

Here are the recipients of the 2021 IEEE medals, service awards, honorary membership, corporate recognition, and technical field awards. The awards are presented on behalf of the IEEE Board of Directors.

< <https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-institute/ieee-news/find-out-who-received-a-2021-ieee-major-award> https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-institute/ieee-news/find-out-who-received-a-2021-ieee-major-award>

How Chromium reduced Root DNS traffic

As we begin a new year, it is important to look back and reflect on our accomplishments and how we can continue to improve. A significant positive the DNS community could take from 2020 is the receptiveness and responsiveness of the Chromium team to address the large amount of DNS queries being sent to the root server system.

< <https://blog.apnic.net/2021/02/04/how-chromium-reduces-root-dns-traffic/> https://blog.apnic.net/2021/02/04/how-chromium-reduces-root-dns-traffic/>

Reduce requests to critical DNS zones with LocalRoot

When an ISP’s DNS resolver starts up, it contains only information about how to bootstrap the DNS resolution process. Specifically, it only starts with a list of DNS service identities and addresses for where the ‘root’ of the DNS can be reached, also known as the Root Server System (RSS).

< <https://blog.apnic.net/2021/02/02/reduce-requests-to-critical-dns-zones-with-localroot/> https://blog.apnic.net/2021/02/02/reduce-requests-to-critical-dns-zones-with-localroot/>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david@goldsteinreport.com> david@goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home