Re: [newtrk] new cruft draft due out today or tomorrow

Tony Hansen <tony@att.com> Fri, 01 October 2004 03:49 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:30:25 -0400
From: Tony Hansen <tony@att.com>
To: "'newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu'" <newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: [newtrk] new cruft draft due out today or tomorrow
Sender: owner-newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu

Ok, here's another voice weighing in.

Consider how we move protocol documents FORWARD in the standards track.

   1)	Sometimes we issue new versions of an RFC while moving the
	protocol forward.
   2)	Sometimes we just recategorize an RFC.

However we DON'T publish:

    *	The reasons we think the RFC can be moved forward.
	These are discussed in mailing lists, which are usually archived
	somewhere.

    *	The interopability reports associated with how
	the protocol works between implementations
	These are discussed in mailing lists and sometimes published on
	web sites.

Note, we do NOT require an RFC that simply says "let's move RFC forward
in status because of such and such."

Now consider the situation of moving a document to obsolete or historic,
which are just other statuses on the standards track. Obviously there's
no need to republish the actual RFC that's being downgraded.

Now, think about the why's and wherefor's of WHY the RFC is being
downgraded.

Do we need to discuss why the action is being done? Absolutely. And this
should be done in various mailing lists.

Do we need to publish yet another RFC just to say why we're changing the
status of that RFC? Absolutely NOT.

To summarize, I have a serious problem with publishing any such
documents as RFCs.

Here's an alternative suggestion for consideration on WHERE to put a
summary of why an RFC was downgraded. 27 lines is sufficiently small
that it could actually be stored in rfc-index.xml.

	Tony Hansen
	tony+ietf@maillennium.att.com