Re: [newtrk] draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-04.txt

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Tue, 28 March 2006 13:15 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
To: newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: Re: [newtrk] draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd-04.txt
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:11:08 -0600
Sender: owner-newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu

From: <john.loughney@nokia.com>

> I'm not wedded to my idea, but I do note that I had a lot of possitive
> feedback about proposing some solution to actually defining what
> a standard is, and I'm using standard in a broad sense.  I'm
> hearing lots of complaints that implementing IETF protocols is becoming
> quite difficult as implementaters have to rifle through a half a dozen
> or so RFCs just to implement a protocol; or the IETF needs to
> charter a WG just so we can figure out what we mean.
>
> YMMV,
> John

I am not wedded to "what standards?" either, but I'm at least engaged to the
idea that we might be able to figure out what a standards-track protocol is,
and tell someone else.

I do note that

- Not everyone immediately needs ISDs, but the people who do, need them,
like, five years ago. Go to http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/index.cgi
and type in "rfc 3261" for an amusing object lesson.

- Jonathan Rosenberg has 16 other active I-Ds, but thought it was worth his
while to put
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-hitchhikers-guide-00.txt
together (and he's a pretty busy guy).

- http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/05nov/sip.html does not actually describe
the mixed panic and amusement that broke out when the chairs showed a new
charter milestone that included "moving SIP to Draft Standard". The
consternation involved both (1) at least 2000 MUSTs in the SIP
specifications, as counted by Robert Sparks, plus (2) no one actually
knowing what SIP was ("we need something like the TCP roadmap for SIP").

- I would LOVE for it to be possible to implement SIP by reading a
half-dozen RFCs. That would be an order of magnitude reduction in the
current situation (even "core SIP" has more RFCs than that).

At this point, we seem to be headed back for yet another round of "is there
really a problem?" discussions. "There really is a problem", probably not
for everyone (it may be well-understood what SHIM6 is), but for enough
people to justify moving forward on ISDs, independent of whether Newtrk does
anything else or not.

We have been very conservative about RFC 3933 experiments involving the
standards track. Perhaps there are a small number of protocols that need
ISDs, and the rest do not. Given a choice between bootstrapping ISDs,
solving a real problem, and looking for broader applicability, and another
round of navel-gazing, should we consider moving forward with an ISD
experiment?

Thanks,

Spencer

.