Re: [nfsv4] request for xattr as a WG item

"Erasani, Pranoop" <Pranoop.Erasani@netapp.com> Tue, 07 October 2014 06:09 UTC

From: "Erasani, Pranoop" <Pranoop.Erasani@netapp.com>
To: Tom Haynes <thomas.haynes@primarydata.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 06:08:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.122.56.79]
Cc: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>, NFSv4 <nfsv4@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] request for xattr as a WG item

The reasons are mentioned here (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-naik-nfsv4-xattrs-01#page-5).

Apart from that, consider a simple case of setting multiple user-defined attributes at once. It requires multiple NFS operations in named attributes to accomplish  what a single setxattr is expected to do. Why would I want to use a sub-standard mechanism to accomplish user defined metadata.

Moreover, as aptly described by Manoj/Marc, subjecting user-defined attributes to close-to-open semantics is an overhead that could clearly be avoided. For the use cases that I'm tracking scale is important part of the consideration and clearly named attributes for these reasons won't be my choice.

HTH.

- Pranoop