[nfsv4] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Tue, 17 April 2018 22:38 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types@ietf.org, nfsv4-chairs@ietf.org, spencer.shepler@gmail.com, nfsv4@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 15:38:58 -0700
Subject: [nfsv4] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types-10: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types/

DISCUSS:

Thanks for writing this up; it's good to have better clarity about the
requirements placed on various actors in pNFS.  I will change to Yes once this
issue is resolved:

Section 4 leaves me confused about what exactly from RFC 5661 is
being updated.  That is, the subsections look to be some discussion
about how the "real requirements" (i.e., this document) apply to the
given layout types, and we are told that these sections do not update
the specification for those specific layout types.  So it's hard to
get a clear picture about which specific requirements are being changed/added;
this leads me to wonder if the top-level Section 4 should not say
"This section updates Section 12 of [RFC5661]" and leave the
"discussed here only to illuminate the updates made to Section 12 of
[RFC5661]".

COMMENT:

Section 1

   Such matters are defined in a standards-track layout type
   specification.

This could be read as saying that there is a single document, which
happens to be a layout-type specification and standards-track, that
gives guidance on how layout types differ.  Maybe:

   Each layout type will define the needed details for its usage in
   the specifciation for that layout type; layout type
   specifications are always standards-track RFCs.

Section 3.3

   [..] If the document does not
   impose implementation requirements sufficient to ensure that these
   semantic requirements are met, it is not appropriate for the working
   group to allow the document to move forward.

Maybe "it is not appropriate for publication as an IETF-stream RFC"?

   o  If the metadata server does not have a means to invalidate a
      stateid issued to the storage device to keep a particular client
      from accessing a specific file, then the layout type specification
      has to document how the metadata server is going to fence the
      client from access to the file on that storage device.

Is the stateid issued to the storage device or to the client?

Section 4 leaves me confused about what exactly from RFC 5661 is
being updated.  That is, the subsections look to be some discussion
about how the "real requirements" (i.e., this document) apply to the
given layout types, we are told that these sections do not update
the specification for those specific layout types.  So it's hard to
get a clear picture about which specific things are being updated;
this leads me to wonder if the top-level Section 4 should not say
"This section updates Section 12 of [RFC5661]" and leave the
"discussed here only to illuminate the updates made to Section 12 of
[RFC5661[".

Section 6

   [...] In the latter case, I/O access writes
   are reflected in layouts [...]

s/writes/rights/