Re: [nfsv4] List of possible work items for NFSv4.2

"Mike Eisler" <mre-ietf@eisler.com> Sat, 15 August 2009 14:58 UTC

Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:58:06 -0700
From: Mike Eisler <mre-ietf@eisler.com>
To: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] List of possible work items for NFSv4.2

Reading through responses, both those published to the list and privately
sent to me, I see a strong consensus for NFSv4.2, strong indication
that there are people willing to contribute to the document process as
orginators, editors, and reviewers, and strong indication that this work
will be prototyped/implemented.

I propose:
- that NFSv4.2, RPCSEC_GSSv3, MAC be authorized as a work items immediately.
-- I further propose that the primary editors of these three work items be,
   respectively, Mike Eisler, Nico Williams, and Dave Quigley.
- For the NFSv4.2 document, we start by combining the COPY operations I-D,
  and the part of the MAC I-D that describes the RECOMMENDED MAC attribute.
-- We should have a discussion and reach consensus on how to combine
   sub-file caching
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eisler-nfsv4-pnfs-dedupe
   or
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-myklebust-nfsv4-byte-range-delegations),
   peer-to-peer NFS (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-myklebust-nfsv4-pnfs-backend ),
   and unstable file create (see Trond's emails on this thread),
   and then fold this consensus into NFSv4.2.

Going through the items one by one:

On Wed, August 12, 2009 8:41 pm, Mike Eisler wrote:

> Peer-to-Peer NFS

Strong indication of support for this work in terms of reviewing,
contributing and implementing (it has already been prototyped).
Trond wants to re-do the prototype once the NFSv4.2 form of this
work is clarified.

> Copy

James indicated he'd like to continue to contribute here, including
with implementation. Tom Haynes also indicated a possibility to contribute
here.

> Hole Punching

I received a private response that proposals for hole punching and
thin provisioning will be coming soon.

> MAC Security Attribute

Dave Quigley is committed to contributing to

> Traffic Classification

Thus far, no renewed interested has been expressed on this.

> End-to-End Data Integrity

Thus far, no renewed interested has been expressed on this.

> Umask Attribute

Thus far, no renewed interested has been expressed on this.

> Shutdown Callback

Thus far, no renewed interested has been expressed on this.

> Readahead Hint

Thus far, no renewed interested has been expressed on this.

> pNFS Connectivity/Access Indication

A fresh item from Stockholm IETF meeting; absence of
re-stating support for this is not absence of proof of interest.
I for one am committed to seeing this solved in NFSv4.2.

> Better Negotiation of Session Reply Cache Sizes

A fresh item from after Stockholm IETF meeting; absence of
re-stating support for this is not absence of proof of interest.
But I remain luke warm on this ... not entirely convinced there is
a problem to solve.

> Metadata Striping

Andy Adamson has expressed interest in prototyping this.

> De-Dupe Awareness and Sub-File Caching

In the context of peer-to-peer NFS, I see continued interested
in sub-file caching. Sub-file caching as proposed my me, gives
one de-dupe awareness for free (or the converse depending on
how one wants to look at it). As I've proposed at the beginning of
this message, the WG needs to discuss how it wants to approach all
these topics before adding them to an NFSv4.2 I-D.

New items:

- unstable file creates. This has a lot of interested within the WG
- capabilities: An item proposed by Nico Williams
- attributes: Dan Muntz expressed an interest in revisiting how attributes
  are handled.

--
Mike Eisler, Senior Technical Director, NetApp, 719 599 9026,
http://blogs.netapp.com/eislers_nfs_blog/