RE: [NGO] Proposed Re-charting of NETCONF WG (was NEE)

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Wed, 03 October 2007 14:19 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Sharon Chisholm' <schishol@nortel.com>, ngo@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [NGO] Proposed Re-charting of NETCONF WG (was NEE)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:19:16 -0400

Hi,

I want to go on record as strongly opposing some of this proposed
work.

The 2002 IAB workshop on network management did not call for a new
notification mechanism, nor a new monitoring mechanism, nor a new
schema discovery mechanism. All of these are reinventing solutions
rather than utilizing existing IETF standards.

Notifications were already addressed by SNMP and by syslog, yet this
WG decied they needed to reinvent notifications. SNMP is widely used
for monitoring networks, and designing a new protocol just to monitor
netconf does not make a lot of sense.

It has been claimed that using SNMP to monitor Netconf is an unnatural
union. Is it also an unnatural union to use SNMP to monitor other
protocols, such as MPLS and Ethernet and Bridging and TCP and UDP and
IP? Should each of these protocols develop their own protocol-specific
extension for purposes of monitoring that protocol?

Where is the interoperability of defining a netconf extension to do
netconf-only monitoring? There is a multi-billion dollar industry of
applications using SNMP to monitor IP-based networks. The existing
monitoring infrastructure will not be able to monitor the netconf
protocol, if netconf monitoring requires a netconf-specific extension
to netconf. We should use SNMP to monitor the protocol, just like we
use SNMP to monitor other IETF protocols.

Is the intention to "get the foot in the door" so netconf can become
like SNMP - "let's do everything with our one protocol"? The
experience we have from the existing management framework is that a
one-protocol approach to management does not work adequately; we need
different protocols optimized for different purposes. Let's stop
trying to make Netconf do everything. Netconf should stay focused on
**configuration** - not notifications, not monitoring, not schema
discovery. We do not need to reinvent SNMP for purposes of
configuration.

We need the ability to allow multiple operators to simultaneously
configure different functionality within a device. We need the ability
to control which operators can configure which functionality within a
device. That, and a Data modeling language that meets the needs of
configuration, is what we should be focused on delivering.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net