Re: [NGO] comments on CANMOD BoF

Jon Saperia <saperia@jdscons.com> Tue, 18 March 2008 11:37 UTC

From: Jon Saperia <saperia@jdscons.com>
To: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:33:52 -0400
Cc: NETCONF Goes On <ngo@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [NGO] comments on CANMOD BoF
Sender: ngo-bounces@ietf.org

Seems like there are two schools of thought and approach represented
in the threads over the past couple days.
Understand a single issue, work on it, more or less to the exclusion
of other items and move on to whatever is next, repeat.
Understand a wider scope of the problem, and include key components of
the system/architecture.

The former can produce faster incremental results, while the later has
the advantage of producing a system that will more likely meet
'customer' needs when deployed and require fewer incremental tweaks.

My take on the recent history is that the rate of progress with the
single issue approach has been too slow. At least some of the time has
been taken up with the administrative overhead associated with IETF
working group spin ups and charter mods.  It seems that for this new
effort, all the issues should be put on the table so a 'complete'
management environment can be provided for all our customers.  All
should be included in the charter and associated schedule.  The get
worked on as resources are available just like any other engineering
effort.

So,  I would certainly put into the list items like:
An administrative framework/security.
Integration of configuration with monitoring and event-based data in
SNMP - this is where issues of SMI coexistence/translation etc would
be dealt with.
Any modifications necessary to the base protocols to support the first
two items.

My guess is that the group could probably reach consensus on the
issues top level issues for a charter relatively rapidly.  Then with a
path in place, discussion could focus on one or more elements at a
time, but with the understanding that there are pieces to be put
together.

/jon