Re: (ngtrans) Re: pTLA 3FFE:FFF0::/28 for test & example use per draft-blanchet-ipngwg-testadd-00.txt, closes 20Jun01

Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@sun.com> Thu, 07 June 2001 05:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:03:42 -0700
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, itojun@iijlab.net, Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca>
From: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@sun.com>
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: pTLA 3FFE:FFF0::/28 for test & example use per draft-blanchet-ipngwg-testadd-00.txt, closes 20Jun01
Cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Sender: owner-ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com

Itojun:

> >       marc's one is more like "how to write example configuration down onto
> >       manual pages".  since we don't know what IPv4 address the readers
> >       would use, we cannot really generate 6to4 prefix.

Keith:

>a.  perhaps this could be made clearer in the next version?
>     the current draft implies more than once that these addresses
>     could be used for testing or test networks, which is pretty
>     close to saying they can be used for private operational networks.
>     test networks sometimes evolve into operational networks if the
>     test is successful.

The real value of Marc's draft is to give a prefix that we can use in example,
like in RFCs, books, white paper, config example, etc...
like the 555 area code in the movies.
Having address space for test network is a very different thing.
We have itojun's draft for that or we can suggest to use site local addresses.
I would like to suggest to Marc to remove any reference to test networks in
a future -01 draft.

>b.  I wonder if 3FFE:FFF0:: addresses make good examples, since they
>     will "look different" than addresses in typical use (outside of
>     the 6bone).  Also, might it be useful to have multiple example
>     prefixes so that in examples citing addresses from different parts
>     of the net the different prefixes would be easily distinguishable?

All we need is something that looks like a real IPv6 address but that is not
allocated to anyone. I do not think that the fact that the address starts with
a 2 or a 3 is relevant. This is the reason why I suggested 3ffe:5550::/28
to maintain the parallel with the 555 area code.
Also reserving a /28 prefix is large enough so any technical writer
can carve as many prefixes as needed out of it.

         - Alain.