Report on Networked Information Retrieval Tools and Groups

Jill.Foster@newcastle.ac.uk Thu, 12 November 1992 09:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1992 09:33:59 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jill.Foster@newcastle.ac.uk
Subject: Report on Networked Information Retrieval Tools and Groups
To: nir@cc.mcgill.ca, wg-isus@rare.nl, us-wg@nnsc.nsf.net

 A little later than intended...

 The draft Report on Networked Information Retrieval Tools and Groups
 is now available from Mailbase.  This will be discussed at the NIR WG
 meeting at the IETF (next Wednesday morning 9:30 - 12)

 See below for what is covered and how to retrieve it.

 NIR-WG:

 You have already seen the skeleton version - and had time to comment
 on that.  This version contains the completed templates for those
 tools and groups for which I have been given information.

 I have tried to make the format of the entries as consistent as
 possible and have updated the templates themselves accordingly.

 All constructive comments welcome.

 The next stage is to add the missing information, decide who/how to do
 the evaluation of each application - and add the "internet draft"
 bits.

 We can then look at better ways of making this information available.

 Thanks VERY much to all those of you who provided the completed templates.

 -- Jill

 To retrieve the report (version 2.0) and the updated templates
 (version 4.0) :

 mail to: mailbase@mailbase.ac.uk

 the commands (in the text of the message):

 send nir consumer.report
 send nir tool.template
 send nir group.template

 Alternatively - use anonymous ftp to mailbase.ac.uk (use your email
 address as the password):

 files:   /pub/nir/consumer.report
          /pub/nir/tool.template
          /pub/nir/group.template

 What is covered?

 In the current report you will find information on the following NIR
 tools:

      Alex
      archie
      gopher
      Hyper-G
      Hytelnet
      Netfind
      Prospero
      Soft Pages
      WAIS              ** not yet received **
      WHOIS             ** not yet received **
      World Wide Web
      X.500

 and the following NIR Groups:     [Note: I have not received items marked *]

      CNI           * CNI-arch
                    * Directory
                    * Top node
                    * WAIS Support Centre

      IETF          * IAFA WG
                      IIIR WG
                      NIR-WG    joint IETF/RARE WG
                      NISI WG
                      OSI-DS WG
                    * URI WG
                    * URL WG
                      WNILS

      OCLC            USMARC WG

      RARE            ISUS WG   joint NIR task force with IETF

      SR-NETT Group   Nordic SR-project