job

keith@dcs.gla.ac.uk Thu, 14 April 1994 08:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 09:37:47 -0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: keith@dcs.gla.ac.uk
To: nir@mailbase.ac.uk
Subject: job
Cc: keith@dcs.gla.ac.uk

Advance Notice

We will be advertising for a Research Assistent on FERMI.

At Glasgow we have at last been awarded the Basic Research Action project by the CEC:
Fermi: Formalisation and Experimentation on the Retrieval of Multimedia Information.
The project started on the 1st March. Its partners are the IMAG Laboratory in Grenoble
(Chiaramella),CNR-IEI Research Lab in Pisa (Thanos), and the CS Dept in Dortmund (Fuhr).
This is indeed a basic research project with a heavy emphasis on the development of
theory. The research work will require a reasonable understanding and confidence
in formal logic and probability theory. The work will involve some prototyping
and hence will require familiarity with computer-based IR techniques. The proposal
and technical annexe are available on World Wide Web, the URL of the relevant page is

 http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/fermi/

please consult it for further details. The appointment will be for at least two years
and full-time (or possibly part-time) and may be extended to a third year (subject to
the availability of funds). The starting date for the RA is as soon as possible.
I enclose the abstract from the proposal.

"We propose in Project FERMI to develop a Retrieval Model for a new
generation of IR systems handling every kind of data in any medium
in an integrated manner through interaction with a user. The research will
be conducted within a framework based on formal logics with associated
theories of uncertainty. Retrieval will be viewed as a form of informative
reasoning based on a notion of entailment subject to a measure of uncertainty,
thus capturing quantitatively the probability of relevance of a stored object.
The results of our research using suitable multimedia data will be tested
within an experimental setting. The tests will use prototype implementations
of algorithms whose computational complexity will have been investigated. An
experimental design appropriate for large scale testing will specified so that
our results will be reported with statistical validity."

Please e-mail anne@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk if you wish to receive the official advert
when it comes out.

NB Please pass on this notice to other interested parties.

	|				|
	|	Keith van Rijsbergen	|
	|	Computing Science Dept	|
	|	Glasgow University	|
	|	Glasgow G12 8QQ		|
	|	Scotland, UK		|
	|	tel ++ (0)41 3304463	|
	|	fax ++ (0)41 3304913	|
	|	keith@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk |
	|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

FORMAL ADVERT:

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTING SCIENCE
RESEARCH ASSISTANT  (1B)

Applications are invited from a Computing Science graduate (or a graduate
with equivalent experience) for an R.A. position on a EU-funded three years
basic research project FERMI:  Formalisation and Experimentation on the
Retrieval of Multimedia Information.   Further details can be found on
World Wide Web, the URL of the relevant page is

http://www.dcs.glasgow.ac.uk/fermi/

Preference will be given to candidates with some knowledge of formal logic,
probability theory and computer-based IR techniques.   The successful
applicant will be responsible for prototyping some of the results of the
research.   Applicants should be prepared to travel within Europe since the
project has partners in France, Germany and Italy.

It is intended to make an appointment for at least two years.
Consideration will be given to applicants wishing to work part-time.

An application, enclosing C.V. and the names and addresses of two referees,
should be sent to:

Professor C. J. van Rijsbergen
University of Glasgow
Department of Computing Science
Glasgow, G12 8QQ.

Salary Scale:           12,828 - 15,186 pounds
Closing Date:           6 May, 1994
Enquiries:              041 330 4463
E-mail:                 anne@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk