Re: [nmrg] sming changes review

Frank Strauss <strauss@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> Fri, 19 September 2003 14:03 UTC

From: Frank Strauss <strauss@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
To: j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de
Cc: nmrg@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Subject: Re: [nmrg] sming changes review
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:03:01 +0200
Sender: nmrg-admin@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de

Hi!

Juergen Schoenwaelder writes:

Juergen> I finally managed to check the July changes of the SMIng specs. Things
Juergen> really look pretty good, just a few nits mostly related to the SNMP
Juergen> mapping document <draft-irtf-nmrg-sming-snmp-03>:

I've fixed your proposed changes. Below are just the issues where I
have additional comments...

Juergen> a) In the type mapping table in section 3, we may want to add
Juergen>    the note (2) to the TimeTicks64 mapping or even better not
Juergen>    list this mapping at all since a TimeTicks64 is just an
Juergen>    Unsigned64 and thus mapped as any other type derived from
Juergen>    Unsigned64.

I would prefer to keep TimeTicks64 in the list because it is defined
in the core NMRG-SMING module as stated in the first paragraph of that
section. Otherwise, readers would probably miss this type in the table.
I've added the "(2)" note.

Juergen> e) In the acknowledgements, you list the people who were in
Juergen>    Kleinheubach except Keith. Is this an omission or did he
Juergen>    not want to be listed? Shall we check with him again?

No, it was my mistake not to list Keith. I've added his name.

Juergen> z) I think we should drop the reference to the SMIng to COPS-PR
Juergen>    mapping document from the SMIng documents for the time being.

Ok, I've removed the reference to the COPS-PR mapping document from
the core document (it was only one that referenced it) and I've changed
two places in its text accordingly:

    applications.  Companion documents contain

    o  core modules that supply common SMIng definitions [Modules],

    o  an SMIng language extension to define SNMP specific mappings of
       SMIng definitions in a way compatible to SMIv2 MIBs [SNMP], and

-   o  an SMIng language extension to define COPS-PR specific mappings of
-      SMIng definition in a way compatible to SPPI PIBs [COPS-PR].
+   Additional language extensions may be added in the future, e.g.  to
+   define COPS-PR specific mappings of SMIng definition in a way
+   compatible to SPPI PIBs.

    Some possible extension applications are:

-   o  The formal mappings of SMIng definitions into the SNMP [SNMP] and
-      COPS-PR [COPS-PR] frameworks are defined as SMIng extensions.
+   o  The formal mapping of SMIng definitions into the SNMP [SNMP]
+      framework is defined as an SMIng extension.  Other mappings may
+      follow in the future.

Juergen> Frank, it would be nice if you can make the edits and post
Juergen> the result as new IDs. I will then start a three week last
Juergen> call on the NMRG list where we accept final comments. I will
Juergen> also ask (and this time for the very last time) whether there
Juergen> is someone interested in updating the COPS-PR mapping.

Ok, the three updated documents are available on the NMRG web page
and have just been submitted to the Internet Drafts maintainers to
get posted. Note that the numbers are still -05, -03, -03, since
the former revisions have not yet been posted.

 -frank