Re: [nmrg] Planning the next NMRG meetings for 2015

Kostas Pentikousis <k.pentikousis@eict.de> Tue, 28 October 2014 16:16 UTC

From: Kostas Pentikousis <k.pentikousis@eict.de>
To: Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville <granville@inf.ufrgs.br>, "nmrg@irtf.org" <nmrg@irtf.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:12:20 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Subject: Re: [nmrg] Planning the next NMRG meetings for 2015

Hi Lisandro, all,

I'd like to second Dimitri on this one.

Back in IETF 86 (https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/NetworkManagementResearchGroupAg&LgOrlando) we presented an earlier version of draft-corujo-icn-mgmt (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-corujo-icn-mgmt/). Although the draft has been further developed since then, more work is foreseen and we would be happy to have NMRG members review and contribute.

There are two aspects that folks may be interested in this direction. First, management of an information-centric network. There was earlier work in FP7 4WARD, but I'm sure others have done work in this direction since then. Second, it's very interesting to see how ICN can be used to manage networks. The best paper winner of SIGCOMM ICN 2014, by Arumaithurai et al. entitled "Exploiting ICN for Flexible Management in Software-Defined Networks" would be an excellent example of this latter category. draft-corujo-icn-mgmt discusses to some degree both aspects, but I'm sure there's lots of space for other drafts in NMRG in this area.

<snip>
| More generally, it seems advisable to keep a more technology-
| independent approach, for instance instead of targeting "NFV" or
| similar, focus on function placement problems, functional-abstraction
| and network-function driven management.

Second this too, although some NFV-management specific drafts could be done in NMRG or in close cooperation with the proposed NFVRG.

Regarding the meetings: What worked well in ICNRG for some time now was to schedule a full day meeting and work on RG drafts together (or in split groups) during the IETF week (e.g. on Sunday). This could be seen as a particular form of a design team (without the protocol development) and can help reach consensus on comprehensive high-quality RG drafts.

Best regards,

Kostas