[NSIS] RE: nsis mobility interactions

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Sun, 27 October 2002 23:36 UTC

From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: "PIECHOCINSKI, MACIEJ" <maciej.piechocinski@bell.ca>, nsis@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:35:23 -0000
Subject: [NSIS] RE: nsis mobility interactions
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

hi all,

i discussed these issues with Charles (Shen) at Yokohama. He (& colleagues) have produced newer drafts:
draft-shen-nsis-rsvp-mobileipv6-00.txt
draft-shen-nsis-mobility-fw-00.txt
which I think change some of the previous conclusions or at least emphasis.

since this is now effectively a framework discussion, i can recommend the second of these, as well as (I hope) section 5.3 of draft-ietf-nsis-fw-00.txt.

with the momentum behind the discussion, i'd like to highlight some of the more general questions:
*) can we agree the assumption that flow identification should be based on 'normal' header fields (i.e. not the HA e.g. in HAO). Note: this has some interesting implications for host implementations.
*) is the HA a suitable value to use as the basis of a reservation identifier (basically, does the way it gets secured provide sufficient protection from the point of view of devices which aren't the MN & CN)?
*) should we restrict the scope of NSIS considerations to MIP, or consider other mobility scenarios (e.g. SIP-based mobility solutions, or stuff as in draft-westberg-rmd-cellular-issues-01.txt) - where there wouldn't be a constant HA anyway?
*) actually, what are the re-authentication/re-authorisation requirements in such mobility scenarios? how much authority can be devolved to the interior nodes in the network?

plenty of others, of course...

cheers,

robert h.