RE: [NSIS] RE: nsis mobility interactions

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Tue, 29 October 2002 23:02 UTC

From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: Hemant.Chaskar@nokia.com, nsis@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [NSIS] RE: nsis mobility interactions
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:03:38 -0000
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

hi hemant,

see below:

[reh] Broadly, I like the current flow label draft, having read it several times. However, I think it's specifically about the flow label scope issues, rather than trying to restrict possible flow classifiers. (Would we ban classifiers that included the DSCP, for example?) I'm certainly not in favour of using lots of higher layer fields, and I'd personally be happy for NSIS to restrict itself in this area.

> Also, what are those interesting implications on host
> implementations that you were referring to?

[reh] This is based on conversations I have had with people who have implementation experience with MIP and RSVP. As I understand it (and I pre-emptively claim simple ignorance as a defence if I have got it wrong), an assumption that underlies several RSVP implementations is that the application on the host conveys its opinion on the packet classifier to some user space RSVP daemon which then uses them directly in RSVP protocol messages. (draft-shen-rsvp-mobileipv6-interop-00.txt described precisely this behaviour.) The filter spec in these messages then doesn't match MIP-processed packets.

So, what is needed instead is for the RSVP daemon to know *exactly* how user-space visible packets are going to be re-encapsulated as they go over virtual interfaces (MIP,IPsec,L2TP,...), which probably requires more knowledge of IP-layer internals than may be trivially available. The RSVP daemon can't just take the application's view of the flow identification, wrap it in some headers, and chuck it at the host IP stack.

OK, maybe it wasn't that interesting. But it seems worth keeping in mind. The framework alludes to these points (in 4.1 and 5.3.1, IIRC), but only briefly.

> Hemant

cheers,

robert h.

[snipped]