Re: [NSIS] [tsv-area] FSA signalling issues

JOHN ADAMS <j.l.adams1@btinternet.com> Wed, 17 September 2008 13:09 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:09:04 +0000
From: JOHN ADAMS <j.l.adams1@btinternet.com>
To: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Cc: NSIS <nsis@ietf.org>, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>, 72attendees@ietf.org, monique morrow <mmorrow@cisco.com>, TSV Area <tsv-area@ietf.org>, IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [NSIS] [tsv-area] FSA signalling issues
Sender: nsis-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Lars,

and thank you.

A fundamental issue that I need help or guidance on is this question:

In IPv6 it is my impression (perhaps I am wrong) that there is an architectural principle. It is that any indications designed expressly to be read by a network node should b carried as an option field rather than in the data portion of the packet.

If FSA signalling were to comply with that principle, it would need a new option code.

On the other hand, if FSA signalling packets only contained FSA signalling messages and could be recognised b network nodes by, for example, an EXP codepoint, then things could work another way. That is, the signalling packets are added as an unencrypted sub-stream to a flow, and the signalling is contained in the data portion of the packet. FSA nodes would then always look there (the data part of the packet) for signalling content. Non FSA nodes would simply forward the packet.

These two alternatives require less or more agreement within this community. In my editorial role on Q.flowstatesig, I have invited contributions on this topic with the aim of resolving this by the time the ITU-T SG11 meets again next January.

My preference would be for a new option code.

Regards,

John